Betrayal

Chapter 5 ... Betrayal

***

His words hit me like a truck. My mum?

"You're lying!" I screamed at Wells. My legs began to lose strength, tears flowing from my eyes. I promised I wouldn't cry.

"You're lying," I repeated, but it was more of a whisper. My body was going limp.

"You're lying." I collapsed, darkness consuming me.

***

"Dad!" I ran through the door and sprinted into his outstretched arms, digging my head into the crook of his neck.

"Hey sunshine! How was your day?" He tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Good!" I smiled. It was like I was looking into a mirror. The same blonde hair. The same blue eyes that shone in the darkest of places. The same soft white skin, that was as clear as a summer day. Well what I had imagined it was like anyway.

My mum on the other hand, she was the opposite. But still just as beautiful. She had more tanned skin and freckles scattered across it that I liked to count. Her hair, a long and shiny brown that hung effortlessly on her shoulders. And those eyes. Those emerald green eyes. They could give so much love and yet also so much hate. The only people who mattered in the world to me. The ones I have lost...

***

"Adria?" My vision started to clear and I could see Wells sitting beside me. He smiled forcefully at the sight of me waking, knowing that now he would have explaining to do.

"What happened?" I covered my eyes at the sudden brightness.

"You passed out. Slept all night." Last night. Wells noticed the sudden change of expression on my face and cut me off.

"Hey, lay down, I'll get you some water." He stood up and turned to a table that had a bucket of water on it. He grabbed one of the tin cups that had been made and sat on the table and scooped up some water before handing it over to me. I immediately hit the cup away and got up from the makeshift hammock racing straight for the exit. I didn't want to talk to anyone. I didn't even want to look at anyone. All I wanted to do was get the hell away from this place.

"Adria! Just stop for a second!" Wells shouted from behind me but I drowned it out, becoming distant noise. I picked up the pace wanting to get as far away as possible without people noticing me. Clearly I had a little too much hope.

"Where do you think you are going?" A voice to my right said. They had a hand wrapped around my upper arm, preventing me from walking away and I turned my head to meet his eyes. I felt this overwhelming sense of rage brewing inside of me and I attempted to slow my breathing.

"Well?" Bellamy raised his eyebrows when I didn't say anything, only staring back at him with no expression. How could he? How did he have the nerve to speak to me like that? How could he bring up my father like that? My father... I shoved Bellamy violently, no longer being able to control the unbearable amount of emotions I was feeling right now. He stumbled back at my push as I continued to keep pushing him. Tears started to well up in my eyes and after the third shove Bellamy had regained his balance and he grabbed onto my wrists stopping me. My hair covered my face and I looked at the ground, hiding myself so that he couldn't see I was crying. The anger I had previously felt before had dissolved and now I only felt tired. Tired because of how broken I was.

"How could you?" I stuttered. I got no reply.

"How could you?" I threw my wrists out of his grip and looked up at him, revealing my red eyes that were glossy from unshed tears. Bellamy's expression was remorseful and he looked at me with that same intensity I had seen in the cave. But I could only shake my head at him and hurry out of camp, absolutely torn.