Rule Makers

Chapter 8 ... Rule Makers

***

Both Bellamy and I ran to edge of the cliff and looked down in the hope that Charlotte miraculously grabbed onto something and would be hanging on for dear life, with a change of heart. But there was only darkness and I could hardly see from the tears flooding out of my eyes.

"No..." I croaked out. What have I done? I shouldn't have said anything. This was all my fault. I stayed frozen looking off into the mistiness while out of the corner of my eye I noticed Bellamy had risen.

"Bellamy..." I heard Murphy's voice ringing in my ears. Crack, crack, crack. That's what I heard from my place on the edge of the deadly cliff. I rose from my crouched position, eyes stinging, my blood cold, mind foggy. Bellamy was over top of Murphy, gripping onto his jacket with his left hand while his right connected repeatedly with Murphy's face. Over and over and over.

"Bellamy stop." Crack. I tried to hold authority in my voice but he didn't hear me. Crack. I stumbled over to the two boys to try and break them up.

"You'll kill him!" Crack. I pleaded to Bellamy who was starting slow down his punches.

"Bellamy please stop!" I spoke just before his fist connected with Murphy again. He must have heard me because before he could do any more damage his once aggressive expression became defeated and he lowered is arm, shoving Murphy to the ground upon getting up.

"He deserves to die!" He turned to me and I noticed the unshed tears in his glossy eyes. I felt a pang in my chest from the sight.

"No! We don't decide who lives and dies! Not down here!" Bellamy continued to stare at me, rage still controlling him.

"Please help me god if you say that the people have the right to decide-"

"No! No. I was wrong before ok, you were right. Sometimes it's dangerous to tell people the truth." He drew his eyebrows together at my confession, his breaths heavy.

"But if we are going to survive this down here, we can't just live by whatever the hell we want! We need rules!" Bellamy rubbed his hand over his eyes.

"And who makes those rules huh? Me? You?"

"For now we make the rules."

"So what then? We just take him back and pretend like it never happened?"

"No!" I quickly replied and looked to Murphy who stared back into my blue eyes. We couldn't let him get away with this. That wouldn't be justice for Charlotte.

"We banish him."

Bellamy looked at the girl who had gone from being in tears to displaying complete strength. She could show compassion and hate with just one look. A look of power. He nodded.

"Ok."

Adria looked to a fearful Murphy before Bellamy stepped forward, crouching down to his level.

"If I ever see you again, don't think for a second that I won't kill you. Because I will." Adria let out the breath she had been holding onto after she declared her decision. She knew she was quick-witted, but this was one of her choices that she doubted. She held a guilty conscience, one that conflicted her decisions. But she couldn't let that faze her, not down her. Not anymore. And with that she walked away from the place that a child committed suicide in the name of peace. Except it hadn't brought peace. Only more hate.

***

As I walked through the gates of the camp I could see a worried Octavia run towards me.