Help Needed

Declan pitches his idea of hiring someone to help at the bar to Gillian almost immediately after his shift begins.

Gillian does not even hesitate before she shuts it down. "Absolutely not. And what is it with you and your fascination with this person? You've known her like what? A few minutes? We don't even need any extra help." She says.

Declan scoffs at her last remark. "Really? We don't need any extra help? That's what you're going to go with. Gilly, neither one of us ever has a full day off unless it's a holiday, and that's only if you decide to go visit your parents!"

Gillian scowls at him and at the nickname he chooses to use. "Don't call me that. You know I hate it. And if you want a full day off so damn much, take one. I can open and close this place by myself. I've done it before."

Declan thinks that this may not be the best time to be talking about all of this but then again, the floodgates have already been opened. Declan remembers when Dominic first introduced him to Gillian, that she was very skeptical of him as well. He knows that Gillian is extremely protective of her bar, and of herself. He understands why she does it but thinks that it is about time to put his foot down. "Do you remember when Dominic brought me in here asking you to give me a job? Do you remember how much you hated that idea?" He asks.

"Of course, I do. I thought that you were cocky and obnoxious. And at the time, I really didn't need the extra help." Gillian says.

"But you gave me a chance anyway. Why?" Declan knows that it took quite of bit of convincing from Dom and Rebecca but ultimately, Gillian agreed because of her friends' strong character reference of him.

And Gillian remembers exactly why. "Because Dominic and Rebecca are my good friends and for whatever reason, unbeknownst to me at that time, they liked and trusted you. But that has nothing to do with what we are talking about here."

Declan refuses to back down. "Doesn't it though? You don't need the help, I get that. You could run this place without any help at all if you wanted to. But, not one of us that cares about you wants to see you working yourself to death. I'm not saying that Harper is going to come in and take all of your shifts. Nor mine. She has other work to tend to all over the city and she can always just fill in when one of us can't or doesn't want to be here. And you know what, I know that you hate to admit it, but I'm right. I have a good feeling about Harper. I think that if you just give her a chance, you can learn to like her. You just need to trust me."

Gillian stares quietly at Declan for a second because she does know that he is right. And, she does trust him. She sighs, clearly defeated, and leans back against the back counter. Gillian is playing with her hands now, an anxious habit of hers, and it does not go unnoticed by Declan. "If you want me to hire her on so that you can have some more time off, that's fair. You deserve that. I know that you bust your ass for me sixty plus hours a week and that can get exhausting for anyone. But, this bar is my life and I don't need more time off. I wouldn't even know what to do with the extra free time anyway."

"Hey..." Declan walks over to Gillian, grabs both her hands and holds them in his. "I know that this bar is your life. Everyone that knows you knows how much of yourself you put into it. But I also know that you can have a life outside of all of this too, because I've seen it. I remember a time when you barely wanted to be here. And you never loved the bar any less, but maybe you loved yourself a little more. Gilly..." Once again, Gillian glowers at his use of the nickname so Declan clears his throat with a smirk and starts again. "Gillian, you have to allow yourself be happy again because that is what you deserve whether you believe that or not."

Gillian blinks away fresh tears that are forming in her eyes and Declan reaches behind her for a napkin, handing it to her so that she can wipe them away. Then he pulls her in, hugs her tightly, and kisses the top of her head. Gillian wraps her arms around him and takes a couple of deep breaths before finally replying, "I don't know if I can find that place again." She says sadly.