Becoming Friends

Harper finishes up her response to a text message from Declan and sends it when they are at a stop light just a few blocks from Gillian's apartment. She turns to Gillian and says, "So, I think that I'm going to take off as soon as you drop me off at the car because I want to make a stop by the corner store to get us some beer. I can just shoot you the address really quick so you can put it into your GPS. Will that work?"

"Yes, of course. That will be fine." Gillian says.

"Oh, and by the way, I know that I was being a child about it earlier but thanks for driving. You were right. There's no way in hell any of this was going to fit into my car." Harper laughs shyly.

Gillian smirks because not only does she love hearing that she is right but also because she is pleasantly surprised that Harper is actually being apologetic about it. "Don't even worry about it. It is my pleasure." As she finishes her thought, they pull up to where Harper's coupe is parked. "Here we are, Miss Jace. You are good to go."

Harper laughs at the name that Gillian uses. "That sounds so weird. I think that the last time anyone's called me that, I was in grade school." Harper grabs the smaller shopping bags she has had sitting down by her feet and takes them with her. "Well, thank you again, Miss Gainer." She says to Gillian with a huge grin on her face. "So, I'll see you in a quick sec?"

"Yes." Gillian chuckles as she nods. Then she watches as Harper drives away before she parks and runs inside to get what she needs.

As it turns out, Harper is located right up the street from where the bar is so Gillian is able to find it easily. When she arrives, she sees that Harper has parked on the street leaving her a spot to park her SUV so that they are able to unload the boxes. Gillian backs into the spot without any trouble and by the time she gets out of the car and walks around to unlock the hatch in the back, Harper is already waiting there for her.

It takes them about fifteen minutes to get everything into the condo and when they finally have all of the boxes inside, Harper unwraps and cleans the new dishes that she just purchased so they will have something to use for the pizza when it arrives. Minutes later, someone is knocking on the door with their dinner. Harper pays for the food and begins laying it out on the kitchen counter for her and Gillian. She looks up to see Gillian is still looking around the condo taking in what is currently mostly just empty space.

When Gillian notices that Harper is looking at her, she smiles. "It's a really nice place, Harper. I don't think Janie had ever mentioned that they owned a condo so close to the bar."

Harper nods. "Yeah, it really is exactly what I wanted. A place that's within walking distance to work and it's actually a pretty good-sized place as well. I'm really relieved, to be honest."

"I'll bet that you are. Although, I still don't agree that you walking to and from work on the nights that you will be closing the bar is something that I will be comfortable with." Gillian frowns.

Harper scoffs. "C'mon! It is literally a straight shot, it'll maybe take me seven or eight minutes."

"But at two in the morning?" Gillian asks.

Harper rolls her eyes and replies. "Believe me, I've walked around in areas that are much worse than this in New York. I can definitely take care of myself." Before Gillian can even reply, she continues, "So, you ready to eat or what, boss? I got a pepperoni pizza over here and a veggie one also. I hope that you don't mind but I texted Declan earlier to ask him what he thought you might like.

Gillian's eyes widen in surprise, their previous conversation already forgotten. "Oh. You didn't have to do that. I'm not really that picky."

Harper laughs. "Well, that's not what I hear."