When The Old Meets The New

Gillian is knocking on Harper's door as soon as she is dressed for work to get her straightening iron and she makes it perfectly clear that she absolutely will not be giving in to her ransom demands. "Harper, you're being so ridiculous. Just give it back to me, please."

Harper flashes her a toothy smile. "But, your hair looks really good today."

"Harper, I mean it." Gillian states but without very much anger in her tone.

"You are going to have to go into work au naturel today if you don't just pay up soon. You have about forty-five minutes." Harper says as she glances down at her phone screen for the time.

Gillian glares. "You're so infuriating." She tries to change Harper's mind for another ten minutes, but eventually lets it go. She has to convince herself that it is only because it is getting closer and closer to the time that she has to be at the bar and that she should ultimately accept that Harper will not give in. So, she reluctantly writes out an I.O.U. with exactly what Harper dictates, signing it at the bottom for authenticity. "There, are you happy?" She says as she hands Harper the piece of paper.

"Actually, I'm very happy." Harper smiles.

"Now, I need to use your bathroom so I can fix this mess." Gillian says as she pulls at a few stray curls.

Harper sighs. "Go ahead but I still think that you should leave it."

Gillian completely disregards Harper's comment and pushes past her and into the bathroom. Within minutes, she is exiting the bathroom again with her hair straight and silky just as it always is. Then she says a quick goodbye and is out the door before Harper can even manage to get in a word.

Harper is smiling as she lays down on her bed with the I.O.U in her hands. She looks at the handwritten note and beams proudly as she reads it aloud to herself. "I, Gillian Gainer, promise to spend one full day with Harper Jace without straightening my curly hair and she may use this voucher whenever she pleases." Harper is already picturing that day when she hears her phone ringing, so she puts her daydreaming on hold and reaches for it. She answers right away when she sees who it is. "Hey Sky."

"Harper? Are you still alive? Is everything alright?!" Skylar says, worried and exasperated.

"What? Yes, of course. What are you talking about?" Harper answers, confused.

"You called me! And why the hell would you leave me a voicemail telling me that you were in trouble? I was freaking out!"

Harper laughs. "Oh, shit. Sky, I'm sorry. I guess it must have sounded more urgent than I meant it to."

Skylar sighs. "Well, thank goodness, I guess. So, do you want to tell me what they hell is wrong? What's going on?"

Harper takes a deep breath. She gets up and puts her note from Gillian away in her wallet that is sitting on her dresser before falling back onto her bed. "You know, it's really just the same old stuff that always gets me in trouble."

Skylar laughs and is suddenly even more excited for her visit than she already was. "Oh my god, Harper. It's Declan isn't it? I totally called it. You better start talking, babe."

"What? Declan!? Skylar, no. This has nothing to do with Declan." Harper says.

"What? It doesn't? Wait. Now, I'm confused." Skylar replies.

"I mean, it is probably what you're thinking but Declan doesn't really have anything to do with it." Harper rephrases so that Skylar knows that she is somewhat on the right track.

"Who else could it be? You haven't talked about anyone else that you've met in Seattle. All you ever talk about is Declan and Gillian. Unless you've been holding out on me, Jace."