eight

My jaw hangs open, "Harry, that was absurdly amazing. Did you write that?"

"Yes, do you like it?" The corners of his lips go up.

"Yeah," I laugh, "Harry, you have incredible talent. You have to use it."

"Thank you, Olivia." He smiles.

I nod looking down. From the corner of my eye, I see a glimpse of ink on his arm. How could've I not see that before?

"Are those tattoos?" I look up to his face.

"Yeah, did you not see them?"

"I didn't because I was too nervous to talk to you I guess." I stifle a laugh.

"Oh, well, they're not that interesting."

My hand reaches towards his bare skin, tracing the ink blotches with my fingertips. There's a ship, an empty bird cage, a heart, and many other little things scribed onto the skin.

"Why do you even get these if you don't know what they're purpose is?"

"It's a secret. How about you, any secret tattoos?"

"No. There's no point in having one. Ink on skin doesn't sound too appealing."

He utters a laugh.

"Harry?"

"Yeah?"

"Have you had a girlfriend before?" 

He crinkles his nose, "like, two, I think."

"Think?" I laugh.

"I don't believe they were serious. What about you?"

"Only one. It was kind of serious. I thought he was the one but he ended up leading me to the wrong path." I shrug.

"Sorry," Harry mutters, "you definitely deserve better."

A smile appears on my lips before the silence begins. Only the sound of the night breeze, rustling leaves behind us could be heard. Abruptly, Harry breaks the quiet.

"Can I take you out on a date?" Harry hastily asks.

"No," I try to contain my laughter.

I wait for his reaction.

"W-What?" His face saddens.

Laughter erupts in my system, "You should have seen your face!" I laugh more, "of course, Harry, I'd go with you."

"You had me worried sick, that you had fake feelings for me." He said, fright in his voice.

"What would you do if I did say no?" I become hungry for the answer.

"I'd be really awkwarded out." He shakes his head.

"Yes, I'll go with you," I repeat in a calmer tone.

-

Today was tryouts for the school soccer team and to be honest, I was not prepared. I jog towards the rugged field, where other females sweat through their uniforms.

"White, you made it on time. Do a few laps around the pitch then warm up after." The coach says.

I nod and drop my water and ball on the ground before jogging around the grass patch. I notice there are only about twenty girls. If these are tryouts, then no players from the actual team must be here. Other than the field, I look at my surroundings. A lot of people seem to be settled on the bleachers. Some were working on homework, others were chatting along in their big group, and some just sat there on their phones. I noticed a familiar mop of curls sitting on the top of the bench. His body was slanted, a book planted on his lap with his head down. Suddenly, my whole body motions to the ground, gravity pulling me forwards.