ran | sunsets

Her eyes sharply squint with anger and annoyance.

"What do you want this time?" She questions.

"To hang out with you tomorrow afternoon!"

Ran rolls hers eyes.

"I don't want to. I'm busy."

"Oh but Ran~" you prance around to the front of her when she begins to walk away. "Don't you think you should make more friends?"

"I already have good friends. I don't need more than that. I'm fine where I'm at." Ran replies, walking around you to continue her exit away.

Once again, you stop her.

"You sure? Do you at least want company on your way home? I'd be more than happy t—"

"(Y/n), just go home. I'll be fine alone."

You look around. Back at the studio and then to Ran.

"Where are your friends anyways?" You ask.

"They're at Tsugu's café. I told them to go on, I had some catching up to do."

"Catching up in writing some music I presume~?" You tease, folding your hands together behind your back.

Ran blushes.

"Why are you ever here!? You're not in a band or anything of that nature!" Ran exclaims flustered.

"I was waiting for you to finish up."

"Well leave me alone. And that's creepy. Just mind your own business." Ran rushes past you and speed walks away. She leaves you alone with your thoughts.

You put your hands on your hips as you watch her walk away. The sunset makes her shadow fake looking.

"Tomorrow afternoon it is!"  You say to yourself, totally ignoring Ran's annoyance towards you.

________

"Skipping class are we?"

Ran turns to you, a little gasp leaving her mouth.

Your arms are crossed over  your chest.

"Hey~"

Ran rolls her eyes.

"Shouldn't you be in class?" She asks.

"I could ask you the same thing, little rebel." You grin and walk over. You sit down next to her, a little grunt leaving your mouth. You two stare out into the open sky, underneath, a city filled with so many dreams. "You know, it's really pretty up here when it's evening."

"I know."

I look over to Ran. School will be letting out in another hour. An autumn breeze brushes her dark hair against her cheeks. As you look at her, it seems as if your eyes get a lot bigger. Your heart speeds up. A warmth spreads across your cheeks.

"Hey, Ran, whats it like being in a band?" You ask, trying to distract yourself from her beauty.

Ran looks at you, and then a small smile forms on her lips.

"It's the best. Expressing yourself through music puts you at ease, and singing your heart out as loud as you can when you're sad or even happy gives you such a pleasurable feeling inside." Ran looks out to the city. "And....when you have friends you love more than anyone, it helps. They're supportive. They're there for you. Everything about being in a band with the people you love is fun."

Listening Ran talk about the thing she loves most makes you feel so happy. You've never seen her this way before. You've come to know the Ran that always pushes people away, the Ran that never expressed emotions. Now, it's crazy to see her with a genuine smile on her face.

You're so used to just pestering her that you've  never actually just had a chance to see the real her.

Seeing her this way makes your attraction towards her bloom in different ways.

And for the next three hours, you two sit together chatting about life in general. You guessed that Ran totally forgot about ignoring you.

You two stare out into the sunset. The city lights beneath you start to light up slowly.

"Hey," Ran speaks up. You look at her. The orange glow against her face makes her look like a piece of artwork. "I'm sorry."

You tilt your head a little.

"For what?"

"I'm sorry if I come off mean to you. It's not that I don't want to be friends....I just...." Ran looks down. "I just don't want to get close with someone I care about."

"Well I care about you too Ran. Why would you  not want to get closer to me? You think I'm gonna destroy a friendship? Ahaha." You joke.

"No. You don't understand. I care a lot about you. I– I. Mmm.." Ran starts getting frustrated. "It's more than a friendship care."

It feels like everything stops inside you in that moment. Whoa.

Is this the feeling of joy?

You can't even think of what to say in return.

Ran's waiting for a response.

Her eyebrows crinkle together angrily. She used the palms of her hands to help her stand up.

"You know what, never mind. This is why I was afraid to admit my feelings to even get close to you. See ya later (Y/n)." 

Ran goes to leave, but you grab her wrist.

"It's not that. I'm just so happy....." you look up to her with little tears in the corners of your eyes. Ran's sharpened eyes soften. "And that's why I want to get closer to you! Why do you think I've been trying so hard to be around you Ran!? I like you so much Ran!" You exclaim, tackling her to the ground with a big hug.

You both share a good laugh and then silence.

Nothing but the city commotion going on.

Ran's hands are placed flatly on your back as she stares up into the sky. She spots faint stars trying to peek out from behind the orange and pinkish tint of the sky.

"Sunsets seems to be the theme to bring me closer to the ones I love...."