Chapter Two

As soon as the flash goes off, the student is against the bars and attacks the girl dumb enough to get close. She tries to run, but the student is to fast, and grabs a fist full of her hair.

     He yanks the girl and she slams against the bars.

     Oh boy. How fun. Idiot.

     The student lashes out at her with his free hand, and slashes her arm, and somehow, drags her through the bars, and bites. I grab the remote and shut the TV off.
This is bad.

     I jump off the couch and dash through the hallway, into the kitchen.

     "Mum!" I yell.

     "What's wrong?" She asks, turning around. Concern washed over her face.

     "Have you seen the news?" I ask.

     "No, why?" She questions, confused.

     "Some kid, they say it's some sort of rabies virus, but I don't believe it."

     She tilts her head. "Rabies?"

     "Yeah, but-" I pause. But what? He's acting like a Zombie. I can't say he's a Zombie.

     Yeah, you can.

No! She would think I'm a complete weirdo!

     "But what Haisley?" Mum asks.
I don't know!

     "Uh he. . . They put him in a quarantine, but he managed to drag someone inside an-" I cut myself off when I hear a faint high pitch yelp.

     "And what?" Mum says, putting her hand on her hip. I falter.

     "Did you hear that?" I question.

     "Hear what?"

     "It sounded like a scream" I say, uncertain and confused.

     "A scream? From where?"

     "From outside." I reply, trying to rein my rising panic.

     "Outside? Hm." She says, walking towards the curtains, above the sink.

     "Yeah." I say, walking towards her.
She opens the curtains.