Chapter Eleven

I've been crawling across the hanging light fixtures and support beam what-you-haves on the ceiling for maybe ten minutes, trying to figure out how to leave. To get up, all I did was climb up the shelves and jump onto a near pillar--probably a support beam-- and shimmied up to the light fixtures. This way, I'll stay hidden from view and not have to worry about being seen while getting to the exit.

     I watch as everyone starts walking up to shelves, and piling into uncomfortable looking poorly-made beds. There's a loud click, and all the lights, except for a few by the washrooms and the exit, turn off, leaving the Costco very dimly lit. I close my eyes for a second, hoping that'll help them adjust faster, then re-open them and start scuttling to the exit.

     I then carefully swing and drop onto a tall metal shelf, quietly climb down, being careful not to touch any sleeping lumps.

     I can see the exit sign, it's only ten feet away. Why did I come here in the first place? There's nothing for me here. I crouch down, and speed walk to the exit.

     "Hey!" Uh oh.

     I freeze. Curls was still awake. Not wanting to confront her, I put my hand on the doorknob.

     "Hey!" She yell-whispers again.
I slowly turn to face her, hoping she'll let me leave soon.

     "Where are you going?" She asks. From what I can see, she's standing near a shelf.

     Does she not recognize me? I point to the door, not wanting to risk her recognising my voice.

     "You shouldn't leave so late, you should go in the morning when someone can accompany you."
Are you serious? Hesitantly, I nod.

     "Kay, get some rest now, yeah?"
I nod again, stepping forwards.
She turns around, morphing into the shadows. Her footsteps light on the concrete tiles.

     I stifle a sigh, and slowly exit the store.

                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     I've been walking on the road for maybe two days, and I haven't seen any zombies. Although that was strange, I was thankful for it. I never stopped to sleep though, so I was exhausted. But I don't want to take any risks, so I tread on.

     I walk for 20 more minutes before I decide I should stop. I glance around, there's field all around me, but still no zombies in sight. I sigh in exhaustion.

     I look ahead of myself, and notice a small building in the distance. Oh, good. I can rest soon. I take a deep breath, and start walking again.