These Giant Feelings Part 1

Part 1 of a 2 part story. Soulmate Au prompt where the first words spoken to you by your partner are on your wrist. A big thanks to @gatlily for the writing prompt.

_____________________________

Sage hurried down the dark alley picking her drenched skirt up to run faster. There had been another fight between the humans and giants, and things were getting out of hand fast.

She clutched the package to her chest, it was a measure of herb, picked from the outer walls. It was very rare, and very effective, increasing the streagth of anyone who ate even just a pinch of it. Thunder clapped overhead as she made her way through the crowded back alleys of Trives city.

Ten minutes later she was at the door of an old apothecary shop. She knocked twice, waited a second and knocked again. The door opened a crack, just barely enough to let her squeeze through.

"It took you long enough!" A man snapped, taking the package from her. The room was packed with people, about two thirds of them had weapons. Plants and lamps hung from the roof beams, casting shadows on the walls. Pots filled with different concoctions bubbled on every table surface, their fumes made Sage want to gag.

"I am sorry uncle Jones, the outsider was detained. Another fight broken out in the market." Sage explained as she weaved through the crowd trying to follow her uncle.

"The red or public market?"

"Public." Sage confirmed.

He nodded knowingly and a tad sadly. " We heard, that is why we're making our move tonight." A cheer went up around the room only to be shushed down by Sage's uncle.

"Shut up! Shut up you idiots! Do you want to draw the guard to our front door?!" He reprimed them.

"Ah you worry to much ol' man! The storm is enough of a cover for our cheers." A young man buried in the crowd yelled eliciting more cheers. Uncle Jones shushed them all again rolling his eyes.

"It's a good thing the package arrived tonight, honestly it's just good fortune." Uncle Jones muttered.

"You're doing it tonight?" Sage asked worriedly. As if he suddenly remembered something Uncle Jones turned to sage.

"You need tell the other message girls to stay back," he said moving a culdron aside and opening the parcel. "We don't need anymore pre-found deaths on our hands."

Sage and many of her peers were what people of all sizes called pre-found, meaning they had yet to find their soulmate. Everyone, man, women, child, and giant, had a phrase or word written in black on their wrist. The words were the first thing they said to you. Once said, the words turned from their dull black to a shining gold in a bright flash. It could happen at any age, and it could be any words. If the words were to disappear, it meant your partner had died. Sage's own words were, "Watch out."

Sage bit her lip. "But we can help! We can fight! We want to—"

"You girls aren't found!" Her uncle interrupted. "And we're not letting anyone who hasn't been found under twenty-five fight anyways." He nodded firmly as if that settled the matter.

"But uncle Jones!" Sage began.

"No buts! You already run our messages, our deliveries and cause distractions too! No, you tell them I don't want to see a single message girl there understand?" He looked her in the eye.

Sage looked down defeated. "Yes uncle." He gave a small smile and started preparing the herb.

She heard a voice behind her sneer. "It's because girls are weak and pathetic, we wouldn't want them to break a nail." It was her cousin Goffer, he was a found. Uncle Jones turned around and whacked Goffer over the head with a spoon.