Just a Little Magic

Just a Little Magic

A witch,cat and crow prompt. As offered by Anonymous and @nocturnal-birdie

______________________________________________

A cat made it's way up a hill to an old abandoned barn. It was not as empty as it looked however, and it didn't sound empty either much to the cats annoyance. As she walked into the barn she was spotted by a crow.

"Azura! Azura! Watch this!" He shouted, quivering with pure excitement. The young crow and his small rider dropped suddenly from the rafters in a plummet, at the last minute the crow swooped up in an upwards twist before holding his wings to level out. Dizzily, he called out.

"Whoa! Azura, did you see that?!" He asked giving a few energetic flaps before landing in front of the black and white cat. The cat blinked slowly, as it sat by the entrance.

"Yes Nigel." She huffed, walking over to the girl riding on it's back and picking her up by the hem of her clothes. "You should have been in bed an hour ago." She spoke to the person she carried. "Did you two do anything productive at all while I was gone?"

"Hey! Let go! I'm almost fifteen." The tiny in her mouth fought. "Come on Azura!" She kicked her legs swinging herself from the cats jaw. "Nigel! A little help?" The young lady turned to the crow hopefully.

Nigel tucked a feather in shifting on his feet. "Um, I don't know, It is kinda late..." The girl huffed at his weak reply.

"Sorry Riley." He apologized quickly.

Azura shook her head, swinging Riley even more. "Don't apologise. Everyone should go to bed, it's late, look at the moon." The moon hung high in the sky, almost over head. Soft light poked through the broken patches of the barn roof giving little light to the room.

She jumped to the barns loft, and set the girl down. Laying beside her in a makeshift nest of blankets, she gave a few quick licks to the back of Riley's head.

"Stop Azura, I'm clean!" Riley complained, but the cats paw hooked around her, and pinned her down.

"Fine. But you're sleeping next to me, it's going to get cold tonight." Azure stated firmly.

"What? Says who?" Riley asked in disbelief.

Azura eyes narrowed to slits. "I can feel it in my whiskers." She turned her head away ending the subject. Nigel flew up to them nervously.

"Hey, uh if it's gonna get cold can I, can I sleep with you guys?" He asked nervously. Riley pushed the paw off her and stood up.

"Yeah! Come on over scaredy cat!" She teased.

Azuras tail twitched. "I take offense at that." Riley rolled her eyes.

"You take offense at everything." She waved Nigel over, who shook his wings and settled down beside her. Riley tossed a few scraps of blanket over Nigel before laying down.

"Goodnight Azura, night Nigel."

"Night Riley, night Azura" Nigel echoed.

"Sleep well you two." Azura ended, as a stiff wind blew threw the beat up walls of the barn. Riley gave a small shiver; Azura couldn't resist. "I told you—"

"Yea yeah I know!" Riley cut off. Azura gave a catish smile and sighed contently before shutting her eyes in sleep.

The cold continued till morning, waking Azura from a stiff sleep. She didn't move as to not wake up the young crow and girl besides her. Though she did not look it, Azura knew Riley had magic. She was what people now a days would call a witch, or they would if they believed in them. On the day Riley was born, Azura had been blessed with long life and intelligence, and charged to assist Riley in all that she did by her mother, Coral. But Coral had died when Riley was ten, experimenting with a spell that backfired, shrinking her into nothing. In the after wave of magic, Riley had been shrunk to three inches tall, and now Azura did the best she could to look after her.