Just a Little Magic Part 3

Just a Little Magic

Part 3 bloop.

Shout-out to @nocturnal-birdie for the idea.

______________________________________________

Azuras tail dragged as she walked home, Riley ridding on her back almost in a daze. She couldn't believe what had just happened, all that for a little bit of food and supplies.Was it really worth it? Cringing at the memory of the boys face, both before and after the claw marks, she asked a question.

"Azura." Riley began.

Azura gave a breathy huff. "What?"

She bit her lip. "Do you think that the boy— the one in the store— is all right?"

"Well I'm sure his pride is going to be wounded, as well as his face, but he'll live." She snorted coldly.

The rest of the trip passed in dead silence, only the wind rustling through the trees offered any distraction. When they arrived home Azura dropped Riley off and crept up to the barn loft for a long cat nap.

In the nearby trees Nigel sat perched on a high branch and looked down anxiously at Riley, his wings folded in tightly around him.

"I'm sorry!" He squaked as soon as he saw her. "I just lost myself, and,— and I just kinda went into flight mode and I know I was supposed to get you but I just—!" He cut his rant short at Riley's raised hand.

"Were fine Nigel, and I think Azuras to tired to be mad." She consoled." So you can come down now."

Nigel's wings twitched stiffly. "Promise?"

"I promise." Riley said holding out her arms. Nigel clicked his beak, and came down slowly, as if checking the area for any angry cats lurking nearby. He landed and hopped over to Riley.

"I'm glad you're alright though. It took me forever to lose that dog! I ended up crossing the stream and going the long way around."

Riley rubbed the top of his beak. "I'm sorry about the plan, it all kinda fell apart back there didn't it?" Nigel nodded.

"Well do you want to go over the stuff we got? Maybe if we put it all away before Azura wakes up she'll be less...." He thought for a moment. "Disgruntled."

Riley giggled. "Yea maybe." She moved her arms and walked to the barn, Nigel tagging along beside her.

————————————————————————

Peter stood to his feet, his face throbbed with painful heat and the floor rocked beneath him. He had thought he had seen a tiny girl and a talking cat, but that couldn't be right.

He touched his face gingerly, his fingers felt something warm and wet— blood. Hurrying to the bathroom Peter pulled out the first aid from under the sink and looked in the mirror. Long, red scratches covered the side of his face.

"Oh God." A voice behind him said. He spun around and saw his great uncle Markas standing in the doorway. His uncle walked forward and cupped his face turning it gently to the sides to get a better look. "What in the bloody blazes happened?"

Peter bit his tounge, almost about to rant on about talking cats and tiny girls. No-one, not even his uncle would believe that, he could hardly believe it himself. He decided on telling a half truth.

"Well,.... a cat attacked me? I think it wandered in the basement, and then with all the dog and bird craziness it just.....lost it." That was probably the best excuse he could come up with, he waited nervously waited for Markas reply.

"Well we should patch it up. Sit down." His uncle sighed. He hopped up on the sink, and let his uncle clean up his face. He couldn't believe his uncle had believed him!

"Does stuff like this happen a lot?" Peter asked, trying to distract himself from the stinging.

"Funnily enough days like today have happen a lot, although nothing this crazy!" Markus tossed away the used cotton swab, and took out some patches. "Usually cherry will get unruly, or Lewis will chase a stray cat or something and knock some stuff over." He sighed. "We get a lot of stray cats now that I think about it...."

Moving the subject away from cats Peter remarked. "It looks like a tornado struck the store."

"Yea it does. When I'm through with you, I'll need your help cleaning up."

Peter inwardly groaned thinking of the mess. "Did you get Lewis back?"

"Yup. Tied him up in the back. He was headed for across the river, there's bears and stuff over there." He remarked casually. "I'm done, let's go clean up." He patted Pete's shoulder as he stood up.

They walked into the main room, and started by lifting the knocked over shelves and stands. Pete's mind was on other things, across the river.... That's where he would look first.

*

Peter packed a backpack the next morning and set off, telling his uncle he was going hiking. When he was far enough from the store he turned around and took a long detour around the town towards the woods. It was mid-day by time he reached the river his uncle had told him about.

The current didn't look strong, but he couldn't tell how deep it was. Peter decided to just try his luck. Taking his shoes and socks off and stuffing them in his pack he started wading across.

It turned out not to be that bad, his toes skimmed the bottom as he held his bag up, and he was pushed down a bit bit but he made it to the other side, wet but intack.

Peter climbed out and wandered into the trees.