Chapter 3, The snow queen

Unsure of his whereabouts, Loki staggered to his feet and took in the surroundings, it was cold and the sharp wind tugged at his hair and pierced his skin like pins. Loki lost his balance for a second as he thought he had landed on Jotunheim, however the surroundings were not familiar to him and the trees he saw are unable to grow in Jotunheim. Soon he noticed he was sinking into the deep snow, something else that was not completely common on Jotunheim, it was all ice and rock. Quickly Loki stepped out of the snow and continued to look around him.

In the distance he made out the outline of a large castle and kingdom, puny in size compared to Asgard. Then as he turned to look up the mountain of which he stood, a most glorious sight came to him; a colossal palace towered above his head. It shimmered in the moonlight and the starry sky reflected upon its tall exterior. Without thinking he made his way toward the palace seeking shelter from the cold.

Once he arrived after climbing the large mountain, he came across a curved staircase. But as he went to touch the rail his hand began to turn blue. The shock of it hit him; he was quickly reminded of what he truly was. A monster. Holding his hand to his chest he continued up the icy steps. When he came to the double doors he went to open it with his hand but didn't want to see what he would become. So instead he used his magic to open the doors with a flick of his hand.

Loki chuckled to himself as he remembered a time when Thor was drunk at battle, they were invading the enemy's castle, Thor knocked on the door mumbling and threatening through the drink, but he became irritated and went to hit it with mjölnir. In not wanting to see the destruction of his precious door the cowardly king opened it for him just as Thor went to hit it. Of course Loki being Loki laughed hysterically as his brother fell flat on his face. Obviously that was the last time Thor went drunk into battle.

Loki continued into the palace and marvelled at the sights around him, the entire castle was made from ice, even the ceiling and small fountain that stood before him. With two staircases that stood on both sides of the walls and met in the middle, yet there was nothing else for him to marvel at. The large room was empty despite the fountain with no flowing water and the staircase, it seemed somewhat lonely.

Much to his surprise a petite voice echoed off the walls and to him, yet no body was seen. "Who are you?" the voice was a women's, the question was spoken with importance but every word trembled as though it was scared, before Loki could answer the voice spoke again "why did you come here?"

"Show yourself women... and I shall answer your questions"

"Do you intend on killing me?" She continued without acknowledging that he had spoken.

The night began turning to day, the sun was rising in the east and shone onto the palace, however how beautiful it was, the female voice continued to question Loki "did the duke send you?"

"Women I am not of this realm, I know not what you speak of"

There was a pause as she scanned his words. "Who are you?" She repeated hesitantly,

"I am Loki of Asg...." no longer seeing Asgard as his home and no courage to say Jotunheim instead, he didn't rush to finish the sentence, instead he cleared his throat and changed the subject, "and might I ask who you are?"

There was another pause as a shadow at the top of the stairs shifted, however as the sun shone down upon the palace the shadow slowly faded away. The figure of a young women stepped out to the balcony where the staircases met in the middle. The sunlight made her glow and she was perhaps the most beautiful vision Loki had set his emerald orbs on.

She looked down at him unsure but answered his question "I am queen Elsa..." she took a deep breath "... and you have no business being here! Please leave"

"I simply came here seeking shelter from the nights cold"

"It is day now, the sunlight shines, you have no further business here... besides I don't want to hurt someone else" Loki starred at her puzzled, how could something so beautiful possibly harm something or someone. "I'm a monster and a danger to my kingdom, leave before you get hurt"

"A monster?..." Loki laughed slightly and looked up at her with comforting yet saddened eyes "... it appears we are the same you and I" Elsa returned a look of bewilderment, "What is it that makes you monstrous?"

She paused again for a second and looked down at her hands, would she really spill her guts to a complete stranger? "My magic. And You?"

"Like I said we seem to be one in the same" the corners of Elsa's mouth lifted lightly, when Loki began making copies of himself, "many fear me, because I am different" each copy said making his words echo.

Elsa did not know whether to fear him after this display, but as she watched more of him appear she thought he felt her pain. She waved her hand and created a drift of snow and icicles in mid air, she pushed out her hands and they went flying into the projections of Loki, causing them to rapidly disappear, until all of them came to a halt at the real Loki, they stopped as they threatened his throat with their sharp ends, "I suppose we are the same" Loki let a large smile spread like fire across his face to reveal his porcelain like teeth, Elsa too smiled at his dazzling grin and the way his eyes crinkled in the corners so adorably.

Then with a wave of his hand the icicles disappeared, with a second wave of his hand his body disappeared into a cloud of green smoke and was gone, Elsa looked about her to see where he had gone when suddenly he grabbed her hands from behind her, he whispered into her ear, "I am a monster in more than one way" startled she turned quickly releasing her hands from his grip, he reached behind her touching the icy balcony still facing her, ad he did she saw he turned blue, he stood silently as she stared at him with his eyes closed, when he opened them the emerald green had gone and was replaced by a blood red. Only seconds later did he return to normal stepping away from her slowly "compared to me, you are but a confused women you are most certainly not a monster" his voice was scary but she couldn't deny the presence of fear behind it.

She stared at him for a moment not knowing how to respond, it was only when she saw a tear start to form in his eye that she knew what to say, "you don't scare me" he looked up at her almost shocked, like she'd just removed a sharp dagger from his body, "aren't monsters supposed to scare people?"

The corner of his mouth curled slightly and he began his way down the stairs, "not all monsters have to scare people" she watched him walk slowly down the stairs. When he reached the bottom he turned to her eager to change the subject "tell me... Elsa, what realm is this?" Confused by his choice of words Elsa did not reply but for some reason she felt warm when he said her name, "Vanaheim? Nornheim?"

"I do not understand"

"What do you call this part of the universe?"

"Erm... Earth"

Loki's eyes darted away from hers and he let out a short laugh, "Out of all the places in the universe, I end up on Midgard!"

Elsa looked at him puzzled, the words he spoke were unfamiliar to her, "where did you say you were from...Loki"

"My birthplace I will not speak of, but the place I once called home is Asgard"

"Is that near Arandelle?"

"No mortal, I'm from another world"

The words didn't sink in easily, Elsa shifted slightly as the words left his mouth "that's not possible"

"The fact that ice leaves your finger tips is impossible dear lady and yet here we are, but I suppose helping you understand is useless, one cannot teach a blind person to see what lies before them" baffled Elsa began to back slowly toward a second staircase behind her. "Strange, my magic doesn't frighten you... yet the possibility of another world scares you half to death"

"I think it's time you left..." as she spoke a large thud shook the palace, startling the pair.

Enter Thor! I hope you enjoyed this chapter, please comment and tell me! I love feedback.