Chapter 14 |Past~Arina|

The birthday celebration finally ended late last night. I was just glad it was over. I was catching up with my schoolwork when I heard a flock of bird gathering over that secluded spot by the lake. It seemed like that young master came by the lake again. I still did not know who that young master was. There were currently four young masters and two young mistresses fighting to be the heir of Ivory Manor. 

I had to return the handkerchief to him. As apprentice, I was not allowed to leave the Manor without clearance from my tutors, so I could just ask one of the servants working in the Manor to help me buy it from the capital. The amount would certainly be much higher than buying it myself in person. I sighed. An apprentice's allowance was not a lot to begin with. 

Watching the birds gathering under the huge tree, I thought of something. I never saw the young master walking past me to his secluded spot. There must be a hidden path leading there without passing by the lake. 

When I returned to my room, I opened my wardrobe and tried to dig out the purse holding all my savings. Usually, I just brought along a few coins with me in the case that I wished to buy some snacks. As for the rest of my allowance, I placed them in a purse with all my savings. But I couldn't find it now. 

I took out all my clothes from the wardrobe and nearly flipped it inside out, but I still could not find it. Did I drop it somewhere? But that's not possible, I never took that purse out of this room. Someone stole it? But Ivory Manor had zero tolerance on thievery or anything bad. Once you're caught, you'd be expelled. And I was sharing my room with Casey, Lily and Sunny. We grew up together. If they needed money, they most probably would not resort to stealing. 

"Arina, doing a spring clean? But it's not spring yet," Casey laughed as she walked into the room. 

"I lost my purse." I tried to rack through my wardrobe again.

"What? When?" Casey stopped walking. 

"Probably these two days. I just took a few coins from it the day before." 

"You can't find it in your wardrobe?"

"Nope and I swear I didn't take it out of this room."

"How can that happen? Wait... you put it inside your wardrobe?"

"Yes. But it's hidden quite well. I even lock my wardrobe."

"These two days... your wardrobe..." Then Casey snapped her finger. "Did you ask Min to help you take something from your wardrobe today?"

"No..."

"I saw Min standing in front of your wardrobe this afternoon." 

Furrowing my brows, I said, "It can't be..." 

"I really hope not. If she really did something like this..." Casey ran her hand through her hair. "It'll be bad both for her and us. Our court's reputation will be ruined. We will be punished for not looking after the children well enough. What a trouble." 

"We're not sure yet, let's go find Min." 

Casey nodded and the two of us set out searching for Min. In the end, we found her in her own room treating her roommates to a whole table of cakes and dumplings. 

"Min!" Casey shouted with anger. "Where did you find so much money? All of these together costed more than our monthly allowance!"

"Min said she found a purse in the backyard," one of her roommate shouted.

"With a lot of money!"

"Min said it must be a treat from the goddess!"

"The purse." I opened my palm and stared at Min. 

"It's my treat from the goddess," Min pouted while picking on her fingers. 

"The purse," I emphasized again. 

Biting her lips, she at last took out a purse and placed it on my hand. It's my purse. It's much lighter than when I last saw it. 

"Is it your purse?" Casey asked. 

I nodded in silence. I opened the purse and my heart dropped. At first I had more than enough money to buy that silk handkerchief. Now I was not sure if I even had enough money for that. 

"Min! Did you or did you not take it from Arina's wardrobe?" Casey boomed. 

"I... I... did not."

"Arina said she didn't ask you to take things from her wardrobe today. Stop lying!"

Min burst out crying. Casey covered her face with her hands and muttered 'I am doomed' repeatedly. 

"How did you get pass my lock?" 

"Right. How did you do that?" Casey asked, eyes widened, still hoping Min didn't steal my purse. But then she became dejected and said, "Min has the power to pass through solid object."

No wonder. No wonder she seemed so unconcerned with getting people nicked by a sword. She must have thought everyone could pass through solid objects like she did. 

Casey looked defeated. She must report this to the tutor responsible for training these new apprentice. This must not look good for her. 

"Min, wait for your punishment. In the meantime, you're not allowed to leave your room!" 

Min bit her lips, her eyes brimmed with tears.

We left her room soon after that. On the way back to our room, Casey looked like she wanted to say something, but was afraid to. In the end after considering all the way, she said, "Arina, could you... not report it to the tutor? I know you have lost some money... but... think about me! Our court reputation! I am not a star student to begin with. If it was found out an apprentice stole from another under my care, the higher-ups won't trust me! I won't be able to get a good position when I graduated! I will compensate you! Next month, when my allowance is out!"

It's not just some money. Who knew what Min had spent my money on aside from those food. It's missing a chunk of it. But what could I do? Could I insist on reporting? Casey would hate me if I did. I didn't have a lot friends to begin with and Casey was one of my good acquaintances. We still had to live together for the rest of the year! 

"Fine. But you really have to look after Min closely from now on."

"Of course, of course!"

It's not that I was such a lenient person, but I really did not want to offend one of my few acquaintances. Furthermore, that evil young master had said he'd ask Min's tutor to 'look after' her, so I guess things wouldn't be good for her anyway. 

Now I had better things to worry after. How should I buy a silk handkerchief without enough money?

---------------

Author's note

How can Arina solve this problem? Stay tuned for the next chapter! Thank you for reading. See you next time!