Chapter 18 |Past~Arina|

"Arina, are you going to practice today?"

"No. I have some reading to catch up." I smiled apologetically at Lilian. 

"It's fine." She waved dismissively. "I don't want to practice today too. It's nearly evaluation again, but why did they give us so many readings? I need to study for that upcoming literature exam." 

"Let's practice tomorrow?" I suggested.

She nodded. "Sure!" 

"I will go first." I picked up my things and saw Georgia looking at me from the distance. She gave a slight nod and then she was gone. 

When I returned to my room, I put down my belongings and changed into a new dress. All my dresses were charmed to be able to stay on me even when I shifted into and out of a bird. After checking my appearance, I shifted into a bird and flew out of the window. I flew in the direction of the willow tree that was located in the living area of the head family. When I arrived, I saw my parents and my uncle waiting beneath the tree. Georgia was already there, standing next to her father, my uncle. I landed and shifted back into human. I greeted my parents and uncle, giving a small nod to Georgia. 

"You've finally arrived!" Georgia smiled sweetly. "Thought you'll beat me, since you're living in Mirror Court." 

I smiled politely in reply. "Sorry to keep you waiting." 

"It's alright, Lady hasn't called us in yet," my uncle answered. 

Just then a middle aged lady walked towards us. "Lady is waiting for you." She then gestured us to follow her. We're led into a huge room. The smell of rich incense filled the place. Delicate vases and paintings decorated the room.  At the end of the room hanged a huge veil with the silhouette of two people behind the veil. 

My parents and my uncle entered the room first, followed by Georgia and I. When we were a few steps away from the veil. My parents and uncle bowed respectfully and greeted the people behind the veil. Georgia and I followed. We kept our head down. 

"Where is your wife, Frank?" The lady behind the veil asked my uncle. 

"She was sent out on a mission, Lady Atherton," my uncle replied reverently. 

"I see. Are these two the younglings of your family?" 

"Yes, my lady. This is Georgia, my daughter." My uncle gestured Georgia to step forward. "She can shift into both an eagle and a wolf. She is competent for both attack and investigation missions."

"Oh she took after both you and your wife," Lady Atherton said approvingly. 

Why did they have to introduce Georgia first? Now I would look next to useless against the competent Georgia, I thought. Hatred seemed to fill my heart.  

"Yes." Uncle smiled proudly. "She inherited the best of both of us." 

"I am honored to be able to serve you, my lady." Georgia bowed elegantly with a sweet smile hanging on her face.

I could see Lady Atherton nods of approval through the veil. But who was sitting next to Lady Atherton? My family has been serving the family Lady Atherton was from for generations. Lady Atherton came from a side family of Ivory Manor. She married into the head family. 

"Then how about the other young lady?"

Father stepped forward and said, "This is my daughter, Arina. She can shift into a bird." 

"A bird. And?"

Now came the most embarrassing part. 

"A bird only, my lady." 

"Hmmm." Lady Atherton nodded once. And then we fell into awkward silence. 

Normally, most people in my family can shift to only one animal, but some were different. If both of one's parents were shape-shifters, some of their offspring would have two powers, being able to shift into two different animals. Both of my parents, like Georgia's, were shape-shifters. That's why with the introduction of competent Georgia, the bar of expectation for Lady Atherton had been raised. So why didn't they introduce me first? They should have thought of it! 

Suddenly, a deep low voice joined in. "What kind of bird?" 

That voice sounded shockingly familiar. I took a peek at the silhouette next to Lady Atherton. Why didn't anyone tell me Master Carlisle was here too? Why was he here?

Father was taken aback too by the sudden intrusion of a stranger. Mother on the other hand stayed calm like she normally did and replied, "A finch, Master Carlisle." 

Lady Atherton chuckled. "Ashley, you're as smart as always. This is indeed my grandson, Carlisle. I am old, I don't have much use in you nowadays. From now on, you serve under him." 

"Yes, my lady." We all replied at once. 

"I will leave you to it, Carlisle." 

"Of course, Grandmother. Have a fun time with Great-aunt." 

Lady Atherton laughed and then she was gone from the room.

Carlisle pushed aside the veil and walked towards us. Today he was wearing a gray robe with blue embroideries. 

"Arina, is it? Has the sword wound over your forearm recovered?" Carlisle asked.

"Yes, my lord. Thank you for your kind assistance." I bowed my head to express my gratitude and took out the newly bought silk handkerchief from my sleeve which I had kept with me daily just in case. I offered it to him politely with both of my hands. 

"You're welcome," he replied with a gentle smile on his face while taking the handkerchief from my hand. "I saved an injured blue finch a few days ago, but it escaped. I wonder if its injury has healed now." 

I kept my head down in a respectful manner. When I heard of him mentioning 'an injured blue finch', my eyes widened a bit in fright, but I quickly hid it. Surely, he wouldn't be able to connect...

Carlisle snapped his fingers and then the door behind us opened, Janus standing at the entrance. 

"Janus will show you guys out. I'm glad to meet you all," he said with a smile on his face. Then his eyes gleamed, "I look forward to working with you." 

We thanked Carlisle one last time and then we began to walk out of the room one by one, starting with Georgia who was standing closest to the door. I was the last. 

Before the door closed behind me, Carlisle said in a nonchalant voice, "That blue finch that escaped from me has a sword wound over its right wing. Just like you, Arina. Quite a coincidence, isn't it?" 

I widened my eyes in shock. Did he find out? Before I could do anything, the door behind me closed. 

Just before the door closed, I heard a soft chuckle and Carlisle saying, "See you soon." 

---------------

Author's note

So many secrets revealed! Are you surprised? 

See you next time!