Chapter 9 |Present|

Arina was sitting at the table quietly and gazing at the peach tree. More accurately, she was gazing at the person who was practicing sword beneath the tree. It was a magnificent sight, with the flowers fluttering down and the sharp and precise movement of Carlisle. 

Arina tilted her head and narrowed her eyes. For once in a long time, her brain was not telling her to fly and escape. For once, she wanted to join the man below the tree. Those movements seemed oddly familiar. Without noticing, like she was drawn to him, she hopped down the chair she was sitting on. She skipped and hopped until she was close to the man below the tree. 

Carlisle had noticed Arina as soon as she had hopped down the chair. She had gotten used to him, she would no longer peck at him when he came close. She even started to sit at the table to eat even though she was still not accustomed to the use of utensils.  He had hoped that this would jog her memory. She had been practicing sword for a large part of her life. The skills had become a part of her. 

After another twirl of his sword, he stopped and said, "Was my movement so mesmerizing? Your face looks so dumb." He chuckled. Her expression now did remind him of the dumb blue finch he met by the lake. She was normally a pretty smart person, but whenever she shifted into a blue bird, she acted so dumb. 

Arina was annoyed. She didn't like the smile hanging on the man's face. She knew immediately that he was laughing at her. She pecked at him to express her anger. Before her mouth touched his arm, her face was cupped in the palms of Carlisle. 

"Now, didn't I tell you not to peck at every single person you met? Who knows if that person has poison on his clothes or not?" 

Arina tried to struggle out of his hold, she tried to push away his hand. Even though for some reason, Arina liked the warmth his hand brought her. 

"Why are you angry all of a sudden? Because I laughed at you?" he asked. "If you don't act so dumb, will people laugh at you?" He shrugged. 

He then released her. He turned around and picked up a wooden practice sword he had prepared from the floor. 

"Do you want it?" He dangled the sword in front of Arina. 

Arina narrowed her eyes. She wanted the sword, wanted to get her hand on it. But her instinct told her not to grab it from him. 

"You don't want it?" Carlisle smiled slyly. "But I thought you hopped all the way here to get it. Won't it be your loss if you give up just because you are angry with me?" he persuaded in a soft voice. 

Arina's instinct told her not grab it. The man in front of her looked like a cat waiting to catch her. But he had always been good to her, giving her anything she wanted. Surely he wouldn't harm her. She raised her hand, just before her hand touched the wooden sword, it moved back. When she leaned forward to get it, the sword moved back again. She tilted her head in confusion, why was the sword moving back every time she was about to touch it? 

When she heard a soft chuckle from Carlisle, she knew he was laughing at her again. She pouted and stomped away. 

From that day onward, Arina decided that she would never trust Carlisle ever again.

-------------

Author's note

A short snippet of present. Do you like reading their interaction? |Present| chapters are actually linked to |Past| chapters and vice versa, so there are actually hints inside |Present| chapters! XD 

Thank you so much for reading! It's so close to 1k view!! See you next time!