Chapter 22 |Past~Arina|

I knew Master Carlisle was not a 'wimp' like Master Ralph said when rumors of Ralph was attempting to control the price of salt in the market spread through the capital. That's not the worse for Master Ralph, evidence of him bribing Sir Rossi was sent to Sir Rossi's political enemies. Thus his wrongdoings was brought to the attention of Duke of Cregan, Master Carlisle and Master Ralph's father. Duke was furious and he punished Master Ralph by confining him to his own courtyard. Ralph was also striped of his duty in the government. 

No, Master Carlisle was definitely not a wimp. People said he was not interested in inheriting the Duke position, but it certainly didn't feel like that. I had been sent out several times to spy on Ralph and his gang. 

"Arina, you seemed quite busy these days. Haven't seen you in the practice ground lately," Lilian said. "Evaluation is coming up."

"I had some Court business and reading to deal with last week. Are you free to practice today?" 

"No, I am sorry, Arina. Got a mission, I won't be back till the day after." 

"It's alright. How's your practice going? I am sorry I was not free last week."

"Georgia practiced with me, so it's going good. Wait till you see my advanced technique."

"I can't wait." I gave her a smile. I hope her new technique wouldn't catch me by surprise. The evaluation was two days later. So there's no way I could practice with Lilian before she returned  from mission. And I had dropped behind in practicing because of the spying missions Carlisle gave me. 

I walked to the practice ground as soon as we're dismissed, but found out that the practice ground was packed with apprentices. Younger apprentices must have their evaluations around the same time as us this time. It's noisy and packed, I could not practice like this. I turned around and walked towards the lake by Mirror Court. Even though equipment such as dummies or bars would be lacking there, at least I had space. And I didn't really need those things, I just had to practice my techniques. 

I started practicing near the bench I usually occupied, going through the same sequence over and over again. The one down side of practicing alone was that you had no idea how you're doing. 

I was doing this particular sequence, when a deep voice interrupted my thoughts. "Your wrist should bend more." 

Before I could lower my hand and turn around to greet Master Carlisle, a hand came from behind and adjusted the way my hand was gripping the sword. He then stepped back and said, "Continue. If a random person can stop you midway from slashing your sword, you'll be dead by now. Just what is Master Fu teaching his apprentices nowadays?"

My ears felt hot. Why was I always behaving like a dumb bird in front of him? That wouldn't do. I was not dumb. I refused to believe that. Don't mind him. He's transparent. I continued to do my sequence, remember to bend my wrist more like he had reminded me. 

After going through the sequences once, I stopped to take a break and reflect on my performance. 

Suddenly there was a clank behind me, Master Carlisle was still here? I thought he had left after feeding the birds. I turned around to see him picking up the extra practice sword I brought. 

"Since I am bored, let me spar with you."

I widened my eyes in shock. "But..." He was already attacking. I quickly responded. 

"There's no 'but' in real life." He added in a slash. "Everyone can attack you."

I was busy defending myself. Even though we all learned the same Ivory Manor sword sequence, it's different. His movements were all elegant, but his attacks were all aiming at my weakness. His attack was as fast as a lightning and smooth. I knew he was holding back, but without my slight enhanced speed from my shape-shifting power, I'd be defeated by now. 

"Has the academy not been feeding you? Where is your power?"

"What is Master Fu teaching nowadays? Or have you been slacking off? Where is your fluency." 

"You can as well pack your belongings and move to the servant lodging. So this is the strength of a senior apprentice?" 

My face was red with embarrassment. He was right. Those were all my weaknesses. He was still handling my attacks leisurely with a tiny taunting smile on his face. Flashback from that time he toyed with me when I was a bird appeared in my mind. 

My mother had always taught me to make use of my own shape-shifting power while fighting.  I knew Georgia had been excelling in swordsmanship by effectively using her powers in fighting. I knew I could do that too. But I was afraid. Deep down I always felt inferior to Georgia.What if Georgia beat me in that criteria as well? I no longer wanted to be compared with her. So I shied off from using my power in fighting. I had always tried thinking of ways to make use of my powers in fighting, but I gave up in the end. 

I had been more or less suppressing my own power while sparring with Lilian. I didn't want that to be too apparent.  But now Carlisle knew my power anyway. And I no longer wanted to be toyed by him. Georgia was not around. I wouldn't be compared to her. 

Determining to put to play what I had imagined in my mind long ago, I tuned in some of my power to my feet and hands. I let Carlisle trapped me in a corner and then using the tree behind me as a jumping board, I jumped high over him, bending my waist and attacked him from above him. My power allowed me turn mid-jump and stayed in the sky for a longer period of time. I caught him by surprise and when I landed behind him, with my enhanced speed, I quickly slashed my sword at his exposed waist. 

That was when I realized his sword was also touching my neck. How had he responded so quickly?

"You nearly had me thinking you're aiming to be a servant in the kitchen instead of part of Manor Ivory." He removed his sword from my neck. "That last technique was alright." 

Did that mean I gain his approval? I no longer acted like a dumb bird? Wait. Did his judgement of me matter? No, of course not. 

"Thank you for sparring with me. I learned a lot." 

Carlisle smirked and then said, "I learned nothing." 

He then proceeded to point out all my mistakes as harshly as possible. When he left, my face was as bright as the sinking sun. Looked like I was still a dumb bird. 

---------------

Author's note

Thank you for reading :D Do you like their interaction? See you next time!