Comfort Helps

*Leo*

"Oh my gosh, I thought you were going to die." Leo sighed in relief, still holding Valentine's head in his lap. She moved a bit so she could look up at him, her eyes a bit surprised.

"L-Leo?" She seemed embarrassed, but she was too mentally and physically drained to do anything to him. Leo noticed a few stray tears continued to roll down her cheeks.

"Are you feeling any better?" He questioned, wiping away the tears with another tissue.

"Yeah, I'm-" She paused, considering something. "Actually, I-I'm not." She seemed uncomfortable, so Leo decided not to ask anything too personal.

"The trees.. It hurt when I cut them down, didn't it?" He asked softly, guilt in his voice. He wished she would have said something beforehand, he might have even cut down a nymphs tree instead. He probably would have died though. 'It would have been worth it.' Leo thought to himself. He suddenly felt more connected to Valentine. She had showed weakness, and probably suffered while doing so from whatever she was dreaming about. He shuddered. Demigod dreams could be absolutely terrifying. A realistic memory sucking you back in, over and over. Or sometimes a glimpse of the future, which was also usually never good.

Valentine nodded, looking away, and biting her lip. She still seemed really shaken up. He hesitantly continued stroking her hair, hoping it wouldn't be awkward now that she was awake and capable of punching him. She glanced at him through the corner of her eye, but didn't stop him.

"I'm sorry. I should have noticed." He apologized, still feeling like he had caused her the pain. She laughed half heartedly, shaking her head.

"It was my fault too. I forgot that it hurts so much when something I make gets killed. It's like I'm connected to each of their life forces." She looked troubled for a moment, but continued anyways.

"I should have told you it hurt the first time."

"Well, I shouldn't have kept going."

"Shut up. You are NOT making me feel more guilty. My fault. That's that."

Leo held up his hands in defense, switching the topic again. "Your water bottle... That's nectar, right?"

"Of course it is."

"And you drank that so you wouldn't get so tired?"

"Isn't that obvious?"

"I guess I'm just stupid then?"

"Finally! You catch on." Valentine rolled her eyes at him, and he could see her holding back a small smile. She still looked sad though.

"If you don't mind me asking, what did you dream about?" Valentine went silent, her mouth shut.

"I-I mean it's fine if you don't tell me!" He frantically added.

Valentine sighed like she was preparing to say something big, which he was willing to bet she was.

"Well, you have to promise not to tell anyone. Swear on The River Styx."

"Full on swearing?"

"Leo!" Her voice still sounded weak, but she was back to being serious.

"Okay, okay! I swear on The River Styx."

She attempted sitting up, then groaned in pain, clutching the back of her head. She slowly laid her head back down in his lap with his help. He offered her the pillow, which for some reason, she didn't accept.

Taking in a deep breath, Valentine began. She explained her experience with her father in the hospital, dying. Although Leo got the feeling that she was holding something back, Leo could relate to that part in a way. She almost choked up again, but managed to keep herself in check.