Sweetheart...

Prompt: I'll always catch you. I promise

Warnings: slight swearing, implied smut

The moment Bucky walked in to your shared apartment he knew you'd had a bad day at work. He could practically feel the energy in the room and it wasn't good.

"Babe?" he called out as he shut the door and hung the keys up before taking another step, straining his already enhanced hearing for any signs of you. His eyes widened a little as he heard a sob coming from the bedroom. He quickly closed the space from the front door to the bedroom door and pushed the door open. There you were curled up in a ball on the bed just in your underwear. "Oh, baby, what's wrong?" Bucky shut the door behind him out of habit and carefully slid into bed with you, pulling you into his arms.

You sniffled as you buried your face in his strong chest, wrapping your smaller frame around his. "It's nothing, just..." you sighed deeply. "It's been a horrible day. There was, a crash, on the freeway and... a fire... and this kid was being a abused by her father and-" you whimpered slightly. "The head of the department is cutting hours, again, and wanting me and others to cover it. I just-"

"Shh... baby, I got it." Bucky cradled the back of your head as he pressed his lips to your forehead, his metal hand sliding across your stomach.

Bucky knew you loved your job at hospital, being a nurse and fixing people had always been your dream. You were a loving and caring person who was a natural career. But sometimes (like today) it took it out of you and it worried him you were doing too much.

"C'mon, Sweetheart. Let's go have a bath. You're all tensed up." Bucky kissed the top of your head. He sat up from the bed and lifted you in his arms, carrying you over to your en-suite bathroom.

"Buck, I can walk myself, you know." You giggled at him.

He shrugged with a grin. "Where's the fun in that?" He answered.

"I'm too heavy." you frowned slightly up at him.

Bucky scoffed, rolling his eyes. "Like hell you are."

He pushed the bathroom door opened and walked in with you still in his arms. He closed the toilet lid and gently placed you down so you could take a seat. He then turned his attention to the bathtub and proceed to run the bath. After a while he rolled up his sleeve and put his hand into the hot water, swishing it around to make more bubbles. You watched him quietly for a few moments, slowly smiling at the thought of him already doing this a thousand times before for you. He really did love you and you saw it everyday.

You met Bucky and the rest of the Avengers was when you became an official Avenger through knowing Fury and Nat. She was like your big sister in a way. You grew close with everyone, especially Bucky. The two of you could relate and the more time you spent together, the more you grew. Everyone could see Bucky and you liked each other but he was scared he'd hurt you.

The night it changed was when the two of you were sent on a mission together. It had all gone to plan except because of bad weather you couldn't fly home so you had to stay in a hotel for the night. You didn't mind, it could have been Sam, annoying you to death. You enjoyed Bucky's company.

You laid in bed next to Bucky, for some reason miles apart (you'd shared a bed hundreds of times before - finding comfort in each other when you couldn't sleep) but that night was different. He was in just his boxers and you were in his shirt and your panties since you had nothing else with you to wear. The two of you were extremely aware of the other. You even tried not to breath like that would stop the feeling.

"Fuck it!" Bucky grunted as he rolled over taking you by surprise. He grabbed a hold of your face and crashed his mouth against yours in a hard kiss. Your arms wrapped around you his body, holding him closer to you as you opened your mouth for him, his tongue pushing in.

There was so much passion as the night went on. The two of you couldn't get enough of each other. He hated himself for waiting until then to make a move. If he'd have known you weren't as fragile as what the others made you out to be he'd have done something so much sooner but he was scared.

"I love you, Y/N." Bucky whispered as he held your sweaty body close to his as he moved in side of you.

Your hands gripped his hair as you moved with him, moaning his name. "I love you too, James."

Bucky picked up the sponge out of the water and let it trickle down your shoulder, repeating the action a few times as he held you with his other arm. He lent forwards and pressed a kiss to the back of your head. You signed out softly as his hands massaged your sore muscles. "Thank you, Bucky."

He smiled against your hair. "For what?" he whispered.

"For being there for me. Putting up with me, especially now. I know I can't be much fun." you frowned a little looking down.

Bucky chuckled as he placed his hand over your swollen belly. He smiled against your cheek. "Baby... if being happy every day because of the woman I love makes my life worthwhile and, is giving me the one thing I never thought I'd have, then I'm happy to put up with you." he grinned. He lifted your chin so you were looking at him. "I'll always catch you. I promise."

You leaned up and pressed your lips against his. You moaned slightly into his mouth before pulling away needing to breath. "I love you, James." you whispered against his mouth.

"I love you, too." he smiled. You stared at each other for a brief moment before a couple of kicks hit Bucky's hand that was still laying over your belly. The two of you looked down and began laughing. "And we love you too." he rubbed his hand in circles, making your little boy go crazy. "God, I can't wait to meet him." Bucky chuckled.

You nodded agreeing. You couldn't wait either. All your dreams were coming true and it was because of the man behind you. His smile making your heart literally skip a beat.