Smile on My Face

Baekhyun was lying on the couch while playing online game on his smartphone when I regained my consciousness 2 days later. I saw Baekhyun's left leg in the cast. "Byun Baekhyun-ssi," I called Baekhyun weakly. Baekhyun quickly got up from the couch and approached me by jumping on one leg. Baekhyun said with guilt, "I'm sorry I didn't protect you well." I smiled at Baekhyun and said, "You don't have to apologize. You did well because I'm still alive." Baekhyun smiled at me.

I asked, "Were you always by my side when I was unconscious?" Baekhyun nodded. I asked again, "Did someone come to visit me when I was unconscious?" Baekhyun shook his head. I said, "When I arrived here 2 days ago before the surgery, there was a man who came to see me. Did you perhaps see that man?" Baekhyun replied, "I'm sorry, when you arrived here 2 days ago, I left you with the nurses and doctor because I also needed my leg to be treated right away." I said sadly, "Aa~ is that so?" Baekhyun said, "But Minseok hyung was with you that time, because he was really worried about you. Maybe you can ask Minseok hyung about that man later when Minseok hyung comes to visit you." "I will... Thank you Byun Baekhyun-ssi," I said.

I looked at Baekhyun's leg that in the cast and asked, "How is your leg?" Baekhyun smiled at me and said, "Park Sarang-ssi, you know what? I'm really glad that I met you. You always worried about me when I got hurt and you always thanked me for everything I did for you even though you knew that I did it just because it was Minseok hyung's order... From now on I'm gonna protect you not because of Minseok hyung's order anymore... It's because I like you." "Byun Baekhyun-ssi... Thank you for liking me but I'm really sorry, I already have someone in my heart," I said while looking at Baekhyun.

Baekhyun laughed sadly and said, "I guess I'm late, huh?" "I've been loving that person for 16 years," I said. Baekhyun chuckled sadly and said with teary eyes, "Then it means I don't have a chance since the beginning." Baekhyun returned to the couch, he turned on his online game on his smartphone then he lay down with his back facing me.

I saw Baekhyun not playing his game and I knew that he was crying in silence. I threw my view out the window and mumbled in my heart, "Where are you now? Why don't you come and see me now? I really want to see you, oppa..."

The guy who came with police force to Minseok's house came to visit me at the hospital. "Finally you are awake... I'm a police chief and my name is Luhan," said the guy. Luhan gave me his name card and said, "When you are ready to be questioned, please let me know. Just call me." I nodded in understanding.

Luhan turned to Baekhyun and said, "Byun Baekhyun-ssi, you should call me too when you are ready to be questioned." "Okay," Baekhyun replied without turning his face to see Luhan, he was still facing the wall while holding his smartphone. "Get well soon you two... I'll be waiting for your call... Now I have to return to the police station," said Luhan. "Thank you, officer Lu," I said. 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Luhan came to the hospital when I gave him a call. I was questioned for 6 hours. Luhan told me that I would be charged for 1 year in prison for being an accomplice of Minseok in stealing Do Kyungsoo's Tempo watches. Baekhyun told me that he was charged for 10 years in prison for killing Kim Jongin's men who kidnapped me, meanwhile Minseok was charged for death penalty for all his crimes.

I was discharged from the hospital 1 month later and Baekhyun took me to his house. "We can't go back to Minseok hyung's house because police have installed police line there," said Baekhyun. I nodded in understanding. "I plan to run away before my trial court ends. Do you want to come with me? I'll take you to the place where police can't find us," said Baekhyun.

Suddenly Minseok broke into Baekhyun's house and he pointed his gun at Baekhyun and said angrily, "How dare you take Park Sarang away from me!" Baekhyun took out his gun and pointed it at Minseok and said, "Minseok hyung, don't make me shoot you because you have saved my life. Please leave now and forget her because she doesn't want to be with you."

"Shoot me! I'm still gonna take her with me," said Minseok

"Shoot me! I'm still gonna take her with me," said Minseok. I shouted, "Please stop it you two!!!" Suddenly Baekhyun fired his gun with trembling hand and his shot missed Minseok's heart. Minseok's chest started to bleed. Minseok quickly shot Baekhyun's heart and said, "Goodbye, Baekhyun." Baekhyun fell to the floor and fresh blood wet his shirt.

I ran to Baekhyun and held him in my arms. "Byun Baekhyun-ssi... Please hang on, I'll call ambulance for you," I said sadly. Baekhyun coughed blood, then he smiled at me and said in pain, "Park Sarang-ssi... Thank you... For being by my side... When the death picks me..." "No, please don't say that. You won't die," I said. Baekhyun raised his hand to touch my cheek, he said while smiling in pain, "Goodbye... Park... Sa... Rang." Baekhyun's hand fell limply to the floor as he breathed his last breath.

I turned to Minseok and said angrily, "Why did you kill him???" Minseok replied in pain, "Because he shot me first." I shouted angrily, "You are a monster! You have no heart!!!" Minseok smiled in pain while saying, "I have a heart and my heart belongs to you." I shouted irritably, "I don't need your heart!!!"

Minseok said in pain, "You are the most stupid girl I've ever met in my life... How can you keep loving the man who you even don't know his existence?... And what if he has changed into a bad person?... Will you still love him when you meet him later?" I argued, "He is a good person!" "People change," Minseok said in pain. I said firmly, "Even if he changes into a person who is worst than you, I'm gonna still love him with all my heart!" 

Minseok laughed then sighed in pain. Minseok held his bleeding chest and said in pain, "What a stupid girl... Okay, you can go to your man." Minseok smiled at me, then he walked leaving me. I saw Minseok leaving a trail of blood on the floor as he walked away. "Ahh... I forgot to ask Minseok about the man who visited me when I was unconscious," I mumbled sadly when Minseok had left.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The judge decided to give me a 7-month prison sentence and death penalty for Minseok. When I was taken out of the courtroom by the police officers, suddenly a little girl approached me and gave me an envelope. I received the envelope confusedly. Before I could ask who was the sender, the little girl already ran leaving me.

I took out the letter from the envelope and read it in my heart, "Sarang, I will wait for you at Little Seoul Church this Sunday afternoon and  please come by wearing a wedding dress." And I found a necklace inside the envelope.

I asked permission to visit the church on Sunday afternoon and the chief of prison guard allowed me as long as I was guarded by police officer

I asked permission to visit the church on Sunday afternoon and the chief of prison guard allowed me as long as I was guarded by police officer. I went to the church with 2 police officers. I wore a white simple wedding dress and a flower crown on my head. I couldn't stop smiling along the way from the prison to the church. The smile on my face disappeared when I arrived in front of the church. "Officer Lu?" I mumbled confusedly while looking at Luhan who was smiling at me.