Prologue

At a festival, a pale hand is offered to a child with a loving smile. Nobody seems to notice this, nor pay attention to it, it's not that uncommon scene after all. It's quite the opposite in fact. The hand is taken by a lot smaller hand, smile is returned with a happy grin.
"Let's go home"
"Yes! Let's go daddy!"

The answer makes his eyes soften, those glowing orbs that would scare everyone else half dead. His long and red hair is smooth as silk and it's decorated with beads and pearls that reflect the light. His yukata is softly coloured and attracts children, but it's not just any children.

Yoshimune is his name, and he is a yokai, a spirit being. Former human, who went through endless amount of grief and torture and died with hatred tainting his mind, vowing to have his revenge on those people. But overtime his goal changed. From mononoke to yokai to a nearly Saint like being, Yoshimune walked through the realm in hopes of saving as many kids as he could.

His hold on the tiny hand tightens and a portal to the "home" appears, he steps through it with the child.

And both are never to be seen again.

Few weeks later a woman screams in agony and demands for her daughter to be returned to her, but she never does. She was deemed to be unworthy of raising a child and thus the daughter became the child of a Yokai.

The town of Namimori grows silent again for decades. Nearly a century passes.