9. ...Inscriptions.

I love expensive stuff just as much as the next girl whether it's food or clothing or jewelry related. It's in our blood, for most, to accept that sense of royalty we sometimes forget to treat ourself with.

Dressed in a floor sweeping gown of emerald velvet, the neckline was rather low for my liking. With my breasts purposely lifted and peeking from under the bodice with a help of a flexible corset, I could still manage to breathe.

The off-shoulders sleeves hugged my upper arms and twisted around my back while my ears were specked with dangling black diamonds and my dark hair cascading down my back in thick voluminous curls. A tiara of black diamonds and dazzling, swirling binds of silver, like I had seen Ceci and Auri wear when I first saw them, was woven into the midst and pinned down.

Cat has accented my eyes with black liner, eyelids a work of browns, and lips a deep shade of matted maroon. Despite my above average height, I still wore heels of glossy black.

It was safe to say that I could get used to this. I wasn't one of those girls who hated dressing special or chose to wear whatever she liked even if deemed inappropriate. Many have destroyed empires wearing fighting leathers and armors of steel, but can't one do the same in clothes of royalty. Overdressed is superior than being undressed.

Tonight was the night of celebration. Or so I was told by Cat.

"It's a charity dinner in the names of some of local orphanages," Gabriel cared to explain, binding the golden links to his cuff from in front of the mirrored dresser.

Apparently beside him, to the left, was a spacious side, now exposed with a three paneled floor length mirrors, lit with bulbs of lights, and each panel bent to form a curled shape. Gabriel turned to walk to the center.

"Or so we are told," he grimaced and then sighed. "The dinner is another pretense to have a business meeting with the Mafia."

"Mafia?" I nearly gasped.

"Yeah," he scoffed. "It's not like we can go out announcing it openly but many, like those employed in the Queen's court, already know. They're closely related to her, have been for some time now."

"What's good in having a couple of street thugs when you an royal army in your disposal?" I ask, patting my curled hair down. He was but trying to meet me in the eyes where I stood besides him in front of the dresser.

"Who knows anymore. All we know is that this charity stuff we host should hopefully stop the day the Queen dies and Zev can start his reign," Gabriel passes a look of pitiful sorrow, turning to go the wall adorned with the swords.

"Rather blunt," I had to acknowledge before studying the view.

"What does that say?" I ask, striding over and looking at the scribbled words in the panel of woods above over four swords. The rest of the weapons, some dagger and other shorter knives appeared as if they were children compared to the four fighting blades. They were two swords on one side and a single one on the another, both with its tips pointing skywards in their decorative leather shields.

Gabriel gives a sidelong glance, meeting my eyes in the direction of the walls. "It says, Those who shall wish, will receive handsomely. Those who shall care, will be glorified with dignity. Those that shall offer aid, will be remembered in times. Those who pick the blade, will be no God or Angel but solemn death." He froze, angling his head. "It's to remind the welder of the blade of their humanity. Sometimes we get so lost when we have a weapon in our palms, we need a reminder we're still grieving humans who feel something on the inside besides that wandering mind of ours. Each blade has it own inscription for the bearer. It's a special set to me."