Chapter Four

^^^Jane's dress. Incase y'all were curious.

Kings 47th Birthday Dinner (two years ago)

Micheal pulled me down the hallway. My hand felt like it was about to fall off. "Micheal! Where are we going?"

No answer. He was being weird. I wondered where he was taking me. Why was he so determined and in such a hurry to get me one place? Ugh. I hate when people do this, especially boys, when they are super vague and weird.

"Micheal. Micheal! I'm gonna keep annoying you until you tell me where you are taking me." He turned and stopped me in my tracks.

"You wanna know where i'm taking you?" I nodded.

"Okay." He let go of my hand. "Follow me." He said walking around the corner. I run after him, confused. He opens two double doors. A balcony that overlooks the garden comes into view.

"I thought you were taking me somewhere." I said following Micheal out onto the balcony.

"This is somewhere." He said gesturing to the garden in front of us. I nodded and rested my elbows on the balcony ledge. Micheal came up beside me.

"So..." I said awkwardly 

"So..." He said. I looked at him and his eyes turned to me and locked.

"Thanks for taking me away from the party. I kinda needed a break." I said looking at my hands.

"Your welcome. You kinda looked..." He trailed off looking in the distance. I turned my head, looking at him with confusion.

"Looked what?" I asked.

"Like you didn't wanna be there. Like you were being forced." I looked at my hands. He was right. I didn't wanna be there. I was miserable. I love my parents and I am grateful for everything that I have. But sometimes...money and riches aren't everything they are talked up to be.

"Sorry. I shouldn't have said anything." He said looking ahead.

"Don't say sorry. You are right. I am-was miserable. Sometimes it's just really hard."

"What's really hard?" I breathed in. Could I trust him? What would he think of me? I barely know this boy. Alright, here goes nothing.

"My parents...they...it's kinda hard to explain." He looked at me and I returned the favor.

"No pressure. You don't have to tell me if you don't want to." I turned to him so that we were facing each other fully.

"No. I need to tell someone. I have kept this in way too long." I took a deep breath. "My parents they expect a lot from me. Basically my whole life. They pretty much expect me to do everything perfectly. I mean I love them, don't get me wrong, they're my parents. Just sometimes...I just...Ugh!" I say yelling in frustration. I turn around my hands clenched into fists.

It was silent for a couple minutes. The only thing heard was my ragged breathing and the crickets chirping in the garden. I felt a hand go up and touch my shoulder. It wasn't a rough, forced touch. It was gentle and soft.

His hand still rested on my shoulder. I unclenched my fists and took some deep breathes. I grab his hand. Holding onto it tight like he's a life preserver and i'm drowning.

"Jane..." I grab tighter onto his hand. I turn around and face him, my hand still holding onto his. I look down at our intertwined hands. I took a deep breath, "I'm sorry." I say, my voice cracking a little bit.