͋ 8 ͋ Social Acceptance (BWWM)

UNACCEPTABLE

"Ben. I hope I don't have to tell you to be careful, man. Think about your career. Think about your family's name. She is a... black girl, for crying out loud. You know that would never be acceptable in our circle. Her age is an issue, but she is legal. Not one person would give a damn about you fucking around with some piece of young untapped poon. The main problem with this situation is the fact that she's a nigger." Tad stared his friend square in the eyes as he shared his assessment of the confession.

"Tad, you are my oldest and best friend in the world. But if you call her that again, I will kick your ass so hard; you'll wake up in the new millennium." He warned without so much as a blink.

"Oh, so I guess you're one of those nig... lovers now?" His fair-haired friend glanced over at him as if he half expected the man to fly across the table.

Of course, everyone knew Ben to be a mild-mannered stand-up kind of guy, but a promise of getting popped would leave him with no reservations about smacking someone real good.

"I don't know what I am right now. I know I don't appreciate you calling her that. She is a sweet, respectful girl, and she doesn't deserve to be called that by anyone, least of all you. A black woman never turned my head before, but Jolie is different." He leaned himself back against the couch and closed his eyes to allow his mind time to conjure up a vision of her laughing.

Even as his friend monitored his unusual behavior, Ben hid himself in the clouds.

"I swear she is just like a ray of sunshine. She is so beautiful, intelligent, well-spoken, and extremely talented. Take a look at what she can do for yourself." Ben insisted as he pointed to a painting of the grandiose Magnolia tree sitting in his front yard.

The tree appeared to be isolated on a hill. Still, Jolie managed to capture a sense of magic in each flower, expressing details in every fold, curve, and bend of the petals as they were drawn carefully nestled on a bed of glorious dark green leaves with the tree standing majestically tall on a hill.

Next, he pointed to a picture she drew of him. Colored pencils were utilized to craft and capture every detail of his fiery green eyes and the Grecian aesthetics of his face. Even the details of his beard and mustache were captured to allude to his perfectly sketched five o'clock shadow. His hair hung in waves on that particular day and she managed to immortalize the depth and character of its dark hue and the way it flowed to perfection.

As they examined the picture, both men discussed the likeness and that they resembled professional paintings.

Often, Ben had watched her work. The movements of her hands and fingers always left him thoroughly hypnotized by her talent.

When she handed the picture over to him, he found himself praying to God for the strength to refrain from kissing her. Thankfully, he reigned in his imagination and merely gave her a half hug. Once he'd extended his appreciation for the gift, Ben raced to find anything powerful enough to busy his mind.

With just a touch, he placed her and himself in danger because of the delirium that continuously haunted him.

"I can only stress that you need to be careful. You are thirty-five, and she is seventeen. Think of the negative publicity you would receive if you pursued a relationship with her. But, on the other hand, maybe if she became a renowned artist, then and only then would her skin color not make a difference one way or the other." Tad rambled on as he refreshed his drink.

Ben considered his options. If he assisted her with her education and career path, she would be indebted to him. He also knew he could train her before anyone else touched her, and in effect, she would belong to him. No matter where she was in the world, he could fly out to be with her in no time at all.