͋ 15 ͋ Bad Blood (BWWM)

TOO LATE

"Benny bear. I can't believe you never called me back. How could you treat me that way?" As Ben opened the door, he was prepared to curse the woman out and send her as far away from his house as possible, but he was caught off guard when she stumbled into him reeking of alcohol.

"What the fuck," Ben whispered in utter confusion.

Nearly three years had passed since he last saw her and out of nowhere, just like that, there Brigette was. In all her drunken glory, she wrapped her arms around his neck and made an absent-minded attempt to kiss him, but Ben was too fast. He placed his hand on her face and pushed her out of the way.

Brigette tippy-toed on an imaginary line from him over to the sofa in the den. She giggled to herself as she tripped falling onto the seat. She stretched her long legs out and turned over to face him.

She was a horrible bag of flesh. Long ago, the gorgeous woman stole his heart, but now, he felt nothing but disdain for her.

When she had carelessly insulted him and left him broken-hearted, there wasn't even a hint of genuine love in her for him. Brigette's main focus was her ability to control the man who adored her. It never crossed her that he would ever tell her NO.

Ben picked up his phone and made a call.

"Good morning. Yes, Mr. Morehouse. I know it's really early, but it's important. No... no sir, I'm not calling to ask about the offer to join your practice. Brigette made her way over here but she isn't fit to drive. Yes... Yes, sir. I would very much appreciate it if you'd send someone over to pick her up. Thank you, sir. Thanks. Will do. If for some reason I change my mind, yours will be the first call I make. Thanks again, sir. You have a great day as well. Thanks again. Yes, sir. Goodbye."

Any conversation with one of the most successful attorneys practicing in Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas was held with reverence and respect. Ben enjoyed his freedom as a business owner, but that freedom would be a head-on collision if he stepped on the wrong people's toes.

God forbid he got on the bad side of Stanton Morehouse. His best bet was to cautiously approach any situation concerning Brigette and her family.

He waited a couple of hours for the family driver to arrive at his home to retrieve the Morehouse's prized heir. When the man rang the doorbell, Ben assisted him by grabbing Brigette's legs as the older man carried her under her arms. She was passed out snoring loud enough to wake the dead as they made their way out to the pristine white Rolls Royce Silver Spur II.

From what he knew of her, the chauffeur would accomplish one heck of a feat to make it back to the Morehouse estate without her soiling the backseat and the floorboard.

Brigette was one person who should never be allowed to drink because she was horrible in the act of partaking. Ben was one hundred percent sure she didn't have it in her to make it home without vomiting everywhere, or at least that was his experience whenever she drank too much.

He thanked the man for removing his unwanted houseguest.

If Jolie happened to stop by and found another woman passed out on the couch sprawled out in such an undignified manner, he was sure the scene might cause numerous problems.

Ben was caught off guard by her visit since the last time they spoke, she treated him as if he never existed in her world. His simple act of defying her request that he work for her father was the nail in his coffin.

She made it clear that he was dead to her.

Accepting the pain associated with being cast to the side like a piece of trash was pretty hard to deal with because he cared for Brigette, but she insisted he give up his law firm in exchange for her. Ben found her request to be too heavy a burden to bear. He needed his independence. Building his practice gave him the confidence to be the man he had become.