Nova Scotia

Nickname: Canada's Ocean Playground

Human Name: Nova Scott

Age: 21 Years Old

Gender: Female

Birthday: September 10th

Brief Historical Background: After the Battle of Port Royal (1613), France ceded parts of Acadia to England, leading King James I (James VI of Scotland) to grant Sir William Alexander of Menstrie a charter to create the colony of Nova Scotia ("New Scotland") in 1621; it ended up getting abandoned and reclaimed by the French a couple of years later. From there to 1763, the region witnessed numerous conflicts between French colonists who occupied the area as part of Acadia versus forces from Britain (England and Scotland) who wanted to claim the land as their own colony. In the aftermath of Queen Anne's War (1702–1713) and the Seven Years' War (1756–1763), both of which involved the expulsion of Acadians, most of Acadia became part of Nova Scotia while other parts of the region later became separate colonies. Beginning in 1848, Nova Scotia became the first colony in British North America to achieve a self-governing responsible government. Nineteen years later, Nova Scotia became a province of the newly-formed Dominion of Canada in 1867.

Provincehood: July 1, 1867 (Part of the First Four)

Height: 161 cm (5' 3")

Hair Colour: Maple Red

Eye Colour: Sea Green

Notable Traits: Her hair is styled into a single long braid. She has ruddy skin. She wears rectangle glasses. She typically wears a white polo shirt, a light blue argyle vest, a black unbuttoned rain jacket, a blue-and-green tartan kilt, matching argyle wool socks, and a pair of ankle-high work boots. Her nose tends to turn blue in freezing cold weather.

Favourite Foods & Drinks: Blueberry Grunt, Cape Breton Pork Pies, Creamed Lobster, Donairs, Finnan Haddie, Garlic Fingers, Moon Mist Ice Cream, Moose Hunters (cookies), Pictou County Pizza, Seared Scallops

Likes: Ceilidhs, Christmas Trees, Kitchen Parties, Sailing, Shinny

Dislikes: Fog, Hurricanes, Shipwrecks, Sobriety, Taxes

Personality: Enthusiastic and Sociable. This bold Bluenoser is best known as a fun-loving lass who's fond of drinking and dancing to the tune of a folkish fiddle, especially around friends and more so around newcomers. The latter of whom will know firsthand how much the merry maritime maiden loves to talk and ask nosy questions in order to get to befriend them on a first-name basis. As such, it's easy to dumb her down to a casual rum-guzzling hick who knows no boundaries. Of course, the playful apple-knocker takes that poor assessment in stride without losing her hospitality and sense of humour. She's well aware of the realities that constrain her to a rustic lifestyle, regardless of the hard work she has done on a consistent basis. Nevertheless, she continues to be optimistic, holding herself in high spirits without expecting much gratitude for her labour. Should someone do something generous for her, she'll feel obligated to repay them, or else she'll feel guilty doing nothing in return. Because by all accounts, the Gaelic-speaking gal is simply happy being humble, helpful, and full of beer. Aside from drunken stupors, she's all-around good company without a doubt.

Trivia:
+ Nova Scotia was once thought to be part of the Thirteen Colonies of America as the '14th colony' due to her close relationship with the New England Colonies. She even considered the idea of joining them in the American Revolution but decided against it after seeing the Americans raid her villages.
+ Much of her memory of the Halifax Explosion has disappeared, largely attributed to trauma.
+ She currently owns the Bluenose II (schooner), which she bought for a whopping sum of $1 (plus $24 million in repairs and renovations).
+ She has a lot of admiration for Massachusetts, often cheering for his professional sports teams and sending him a Christmas tree every year. Though at this time, she's a fan of the Pittsburgh Penguins in support of Sidney Crosby.
+ There have been proposals regarding the Canadian annexation of the Turks and Caicos Islands. Among them, Nova Scotia supports the proposition of having the Turks and Caicos Islands live in her jurisdiction as part of the province.

~

Feel free to vote or comment on my Nova Scotia OC.