Newfoundland & Labrador

Nicknames: The Rock & The Big Land

Human Names: Newton Power & Lambert Power

Ages: Both 23 Years Old

Genders: Both Male

Birthday: December 6th

Brief Historical Backgrounds:

+ Newfoundland: With a charter from King Henry VII to set up the English banner "on any new-found-land", John Cabot landed in Cape Bonavista on June 24, 1497. Over a century later, the English officially created the Newfoundland Colony in 1610. After achieving responsible government in 1854, Newfoundland continued to act as a crown colony for over half a century, declining to join the Canadian Confederation when the subject was put to a vote in 1869. It soon gained Dominion status in 1907. Unfortunately, Newfoundland was forced to give up its responsible government after suffering an economic collapse during the Great Depression, leading to a series of complications that forced it to vote mostly in favour of joining Canada as a province in 1949.

+ Labrador: Around 1499-1500, Portuguese explorers João Fernandes Lavrador and Pêro de Barcelos explored the region that was eventually named after the former. When the French founded New France, they claimed most of Labrador, however, they were soon forced to cede their territories to the British in the Treaty of 1763. Labrador was then administered as part of Quebec/Lower Canada until 1809 when the British government transferred control over Labrador to the Newfoundland Colony. Under Newfoundland, they gained Dominion status in 1907 and Provincial status in 1949 upon joining the Canadian Confederation. Their name wasn't officially included until the Constitution of Canada was amended to change the province's name to "Newfoundland and Labrador" on December 6, 2001.

Provincehood: March 31, 1949 (10th)

Heights: 176 cm (5' 9") & 169 cm (5' 6")

Hair Colours: Dark Slate Black (N) & Light Golden Blond (L)

Eye Colours: Stormy Grey (N) & Copper Brown (L)

Notable Traits:

+ Newfoundland: He has a wolf haircut, a set of thick eyebrows, and a five-o'clock shadow. He has a stocky inverted-triangle-shaped build. He typically works in a yellow rain suit that consists of a sou'wester, a raincoat, a pair of rain bib overalls, and a pair of rain boots in addition to wearing a black Guernsey sweater and a pair of dark gray rain pants underneath it. He speaks with a unique accent. His breath smells strongly of rum and dead cod.

+ Labrador: His hair is worn in a short low ponytail. He has kind and expressive eyes. He has light skin. He has a medium triangle-shaped build. He typically wears a black wool turtleneck sweater, a bluish-gray windbreaker, a pair of green cargo pants, a pair of work boots, and a brown toque.

Favourite Food & Drinks: Bakeapple Pie, Cold Plate, Date Squares, Fish and Brewis, Fish Cakes, Flipper Pie, Jiggs Dinner, Labrador Tea, Newfoundland Screech, Touton

Likes: Boat Racing, Mummering, Playing the Ugly Stick, Soccer, Whale Watching

Dislikes: Dentists, Gridiron Football, Overfishing, Quebec, Snakes

Personalities:

+ Newfoundland: Simple and Strange. Long gone are the best days of independence for this stalwart fisher, yet he continues to feel like an outsider despite being within the Canadian Confederation. A large part of that has to do with many mainlanders having a hard time understanding what they perceive as some nonsensical Newfie and his funny manner of speech. Some of them have gone so far as to make fun of him in "good humour" for being a simple-minded simpleton. He doesn't seem fazed by their insensitive comments, usually too drunk and thick-skinned to bother with them. Still, there are different aspects about him that are overlooked and underappreciated by those who come from away. One of which is silent and sober when focused on working a rodney boat at bay. Another is soft and cozy like a gentle giant who loves to cuddle his "little bae-man" to his heart's content. There's even a raunchy and romantic side that's notorious for suggesting saucy things to "me ol' cock'' without shame. But aside from that, he's generally a good-hearted man much deserving of respect for his friendly and folkish demeanour instead of remarks about being a dim-witted drunkard.

+ Labrador: Sweet and Supportive. Long gone are the boring days of subservience for this friendly farmer, yet he continues to feel somewhat neglected as an equal to his fellow Canadian provinces. A big part of that has to do with his existence being overshadowed by Newfoundland, the person responsible for procuring Britain's approval of their partnership. Even so, he can't say that fact bothers him. The blissful bayman has admittedly gotten used to living under their name and roof for over two hundred years, developing a close and attentive bond with the Newfoundlander as a result. Granted, they do have their fair share of lovers' quarrels over many things that embarrass the lovable Labradorian. Still, the lighthearted lad remains loyal and protective in spite of the huge himbo's spicy suggestions and bad breath. Because deep down, his whole heart flutters in delight of being called "my love" and "my dummy thicc bussy" to a lesser extent. He certainly can't imagine living on his own without his lovey-dovey buddy. Therefore, he's content with his current role as a helpful house husband in charge of cleaning, cooking, and caring for their farm animals.

Trivia:
+ Between 1922-1931, Newfoundland made four separate attempts to sell Labrador to Canada in desperation for money at the time. All four attempts failed, leaving Newfoundland to default on his debts
+ Newfoundland used to bootleg margarine to other provinces during its prohibition. When he joined the Confederation as a province, one of its three constitutional protections was the right to manufacture margarine.
+ Newfoundland has a portrait of Joseph "Joey" Smallwood hanging on a wall in their living room. Labrador wants him to take it down, largely due to it giving off an unpleasant smell. Nevertheless, he insists on keeping it up for all of eternity.
+ "Newfie" is generally considered to be a derogatory slur, though Newfoundland doesn't seem bothered by that term. The same can't be said for Labrador who'll usually ask the offender not to say it again.
+ They like to eat chow mein without the noodles.

~

Feel free to vote and/or comment.