New Brunswick

Nickname: The Picture Province

Human Name: John Frederick Brown

Age: 20 Years Old

Gender: Male

Birthday: August 16th

Brief Historical Background: Prior to the 18th century, the region that became New Brunswick was part of French Acadia. Around that time, it was being disputed as part of British Nova Scotia. Britain fought France in several wars until their claims to the region were cemented in the Treaty of 1763. Thereafter came the creation of New Brunswick in 1784 upon the partition of Nova Scotia into two provinces. It continued to be a separate colony of Britain until 1867 when it joined Nova Scotia, Quebec, and Ontario in the formation of the Canadian Confederation.

Provincehood: July 1, 1867 (Part of the First Four)

Height: 174 cm (5' 8")

Hair Colour: Maple Brown

Eye Colour: Amber

Notable Traits: He has straight shoulder-length hair. He wears brown rectangle glasses. He has a chubby body. He typically wears red plaid shirts, carpenter pants, brown work boots, and various types of vests depending on the occasion. He's bilingual in English and French.

Favourite Foods & Drinks: Bumbleberry Pie, Cipâtes (aka Sea-Pie), Coques Frites (Fried Clams), Dulse (especially DLT Sandwiches), Fiddleheads, Homemade Mustard Pickles (aka Lady Ashburn Pickles), Lobster Casserole, Ployes, Poutine à Trou, Poutine Râpée

Likes: Fly Fishing, Forestry, Pictures, Scuba Diving, Wooden Model Ships

Dislikes: Debt, Maine, Reading, Risks, StarKist Tuna

Personality: Embarrassed and Soppy. It's truly difficult not to feel sorry for this disheartened Herring-choker who frequently feels invisible and forgotten like small fry compared to bigger and more popular provinces. After all, the melancholic Maritimer has for a long time been inhibited by many insecurities related to his unhealthy weight, shabby appearance, low intellect, and insipid lifestyle. They inspire no confidence, which in turn leaves him close-minded without any motivation to work on his self-image, essentially trapping him in a sad cycle of self-pity and self-loathing. In spite of these troubling traits, the slovenly scaredy-cat appears rather sweet and reposeful around his fellow Canadians, awkwardly avoiding attention whenever possible in fear of shame and embarrassment. Rarely does he overcome that fear and speak his true thoughts. Since most of the time, he bumbles over his words, completely overwhelmed by anxiety and some of his peers' stronger personalities, often leaving him repressed with feelings of resentment. He tries desperately not to cry about being a lethargic loser living an empty-headed existence. Because deep down, he wants to be better in the hopes of erasing this negative perception in favour of a pretty portrait that paints him in a pleasant light. But until he finds the courage to commit some drastic changes, he remains stuck in his slow and cautious ways.

Trivia:
+ He's credited for designing Canada's national flag.
+ During the American Civil War, New Brunswick supported the Northern states by supplying them with shipping vessels and wooden exports, at least it appeared that way from the Union's viewpoint. In secret, he and his peers occasionally conducted business with the Southern states, typically helping them bypass the Union blockade.
+ He has a complicated history with Maine, having fought her in several conflicts. Nowadays, they squabble over the ownership of Machias Seal Island.
+ He likes to eat McDonald's French fries dipped in McFlurry ice cream.
+ He isn't allowed to say anything negative about the Irving Group of Companies, in fear of what they may do to him.

~

Feel free to vote or comment on my New Brunswick OC.