Prince Edward Island

Nickname: The Cradle of the Confederation

Human Name: Peter Edward Irving

Age: 19 Years Old

Gender: Male

Birthday: June 28th

Brief Historical Background: The island had several indigenous names such as Epekwitk, Abegweit, and Minegoo prior to being named Île Saint-Jean (St. John's Island) as part of French Acadia in 1713. It was later renamed St. John's Island under Britain's control, administered as part of Nova Scotia until it became a separate colony in 1769 and had its name changed again in 1798 to Prince Edward Island in order to distinguish it from the other places named after St. John. Many decades later, Prince Edward Island grew interested in the idea of a Canadian Confederation, hosting the Charlottetown Conference in September 1864. That meeting led to the creation of Canada in 1867, however, Prince Edward Island refused to join due to finding the terms of Confederation unfavourable. Its position on the matter eventually changed after the Canadian federal government agreed to assume its railway debts and finance buy-outs of land from absentee landlords, pushing the island to become a province of Canada in 1873.

Provincehood: July 1, 1873 (7th)

Height: 160 cm (5' 2")

Hair Colour: Maple Orange

Eye Colour: Russet Brown

Notable Traits: He has ruddy skin with freckles on his face. He has a slim build. He typically wears a white dress shirt, a taupe plaid waistcoat with brown tweed dress pants, a pair of brown brogues, a green bow tie, and either a flat cap or a straw boater. However, he'll sometimes sport a red royal cape with a mantle made from fox fur and a tiny crown to show off.

Favourite Foods & Drinks: Cows Ice Cream, Cranberry Raisin Pie (aka Mock Cherry Pie), Fricot, Fries with the Works (FWTW), Maritime Seafood Chowder, Oatcakes, Rappie Pie, Raspberry Cordial (drink), Seaweed Pie, Steamed Shellfish

Likes: Anne of Green Gables, Blue Jays, Gardening, Red Foxes, Summer

Dislikes: Driving, Litter, Potato Saboteurs, Redhead Jokes, Winter

Personality: Emotional and Pretentious. Isolation from the mainland has granted a lively and romantic imagination in the Garden of the Gulf, effectively presenting the idea of a Canadian confederation as one such outcome. Coupled with the recognition of receiving a royal title, he's sure to be enthusiastic about his self-importance, going so far as to act accordingly to his name. That can be seen positively in the eyes of guests and tourists alike, seeing him behaving like a sweet gentleman and treating them to fancy lobster suppers near a scenic view of the beach. His peers have observed otherwise, having grown annoyed by his overdramatic princely persona as well as his childish demands for the royal treatment. Because they know full well his true identity isn't a proper prince but rather a potato planter on a million-acre farm. Even so, the sensitive Spud Islander still persists in playing the part of Prince Charming, pretending for the purpose of receiving praise from his fellow Canadians. Of course, they know better by this point to ignore than to pamper the phony prince, which has only continued to frustrate his growing desire and desperation for attention. He'll pout and munch on a bunch of potatoes while being upset about it. Though not to worry, he'll get over it and be back to entertaining visitors of the countryside with a cordial smile in no time.

Trivia:
+ His original given name was Jean-Pierre until he anglicized it.
+ He once thought of joining the United States after meeting with an American delegation to discuss new trade options in 1868. Canada worried about that being a possibility, so he tried offering "better terms" that could convince P.E.I. to join the Confederation.
+ Prohibition in P.E.I. lasted the longest out of all the Canadian provinces and territories, being in effect from 1901 to 1948. Amidst the dry period was the Great Depression, which lowered the price of his potato crops and forced him to bootleg moonshine in order to support himself. Still, he stubbornly supported the "noble" measure until he reluctantly decided to end its pointless existence.
+ One of his favourite flowers is the lupin. They aren't native and are actually considered to be invasive in his home. Regardless, he continues to scatter their seeds along country roadsides and plant them in his pretty garden.
+ He'll attack anyone who makes fun of his red hair.

~

Feel free to vote and/or comment.

Hetalia: Guide to the Canadian Provinces & TerritoriesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara