• Chapter 3 •

Theo

I adjusted the straps on my bag before taking in a sharp breath and pushing open the door to the one and only Meldon High. When I entered, the hallway was already engulfed in silence with everyone's eyes trained on a boy walking down the hall.

I let out a sigh of relief. Nobody knew what happened. But I couldn't have been more wrong. Almost immediately everyone's gaze snapped towards me. Most of their expressions resembled disgust and hatred but a rare one or two had a look of confusion in their face. I guess they already knew. A group of whispers broke out in the previously silent hallway as everyone pointed at me, scrunching their faces in hatred. Some gasps could also be heard from the crowd, the faces that had once showed confusion know knew as well. I dropped my gaze to the ground and pulled my hoodie over my head as I walked through the crowd of people.

"I'm scared," I heard one of them say. "Is he like allowed to be in public?"

I gritted my teeth in annoyance at the stupid comments. Only if they knew the real reason. Finally, I reached the school office before quickly pulling open the door and walking inside. I immediately let out a breath which I didn't even realize I was holding.

"Oh, you must be M-Mr. Smith," the lady at the desk said, stuttering slightly. Her lips were coated with a thick layer of lip gloss. She smacked her lips together nervously as she looked around her desk for something. Even the staff were scared of me. Just great. She breathed a sigh of relief as she picked up a slip of paper and handed it to me. "Here, t-this has you l-locker combination and your c-class schedule. O-oh did you get your books yet?"

"Yeah I got em, thanks," I said, as I turned around but was interrupted when the lady cleared her throat. I spun back around to face her and folded my arms over my chest, a bored expression covering my face. I impatiently tapped my foot on the ground waiting for her to say something but she simply sat there staring at me with wide eyes. "Anything wrong?"

"Um, uh, y-your guide is waiting for you outside," She stammered nervously, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ears. "She will show you around school and help you get to your classes,"

I nodded and walked outside. I didn't see anyone standing outside the room before but I guess I mustn't have noticed considering how focused I was on the blue tiles that were placed on the school floor.

I guessed the warning bell must have rung during the short period of time I was in the office since the hallways where now mostly empty. Well, empty apart from one girl who stood outside, trembling slightly as she bit her lip so hard it was starting to bleed. Her head immediately snapped up to look at me as soon as she heard me slamming the door to the office room shut. She had straight red hair that was cut to her ears, her hair framed her face perfectly, the color contrasting with her pretty honey colored eyes. She had a pair of thick glasses that she constantly pushed up her nose and she a lightly freckled face with a pale complexion. She wore a long full-sleeved white button-up shirt with a pair of black jeans and black neatly-polished shoes.

"Are you my guide?" I asked, softly.  I was trying to be extra gentle with talking to her considering she looked so fragile. I was afraid she would literally shatter if I said anything too harsh. However, despite my efforts she ended up flinching when she heard my voice anyway.

"Uh, y-yeah," she said, nervously chewing on her lip. "Um, my name is P-Paige Marshall and I'm guessing your T-Theodore S-Smith?"

"Yeah," I said, awkwardly shuffling in my spot. None of us spoke for a good 30 seconds so I tried to break the silence, awkwardly clearing my throat. "Aren't you supposed to be showing me around or something?"