• Chapter 9 •

Grey

"I can't believe we won," I breathed, as we walked inside our room. Theo simply shrugged and walked over to the bed swiftly grabbing his phone from the table on his way. "We were this close to losing," I pinched my fingers together to express my point.

Theo didn't even say or do anything, which I personally thought was rude. But then I noticed his face contort into a look of horror as he read something on his phone. Something was wrong.

"No, no, no, no, no," he hissed, tightly clutching his phone with one hand while the other grabbed a fistful of his hair angrily. His eyes started brimming with tears as he breathed deeply.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I asked cautiously walking up to him. I made sure to be careful about what I said. Asking him if he was okay would be pretty stupid considering something was clearly not okay.
For some reason, I felt if I wasn't cautious enough I would break him. He looked so fragile without his usual emotionless expression covering his face, it was almost painful. His head snapped up at the sound of my voice then he quickly rubbed his eyes trying to get rid of the tears clouding his green irises.

"I have to leave," he mumbled, narrowing his eyes at his phone. If looks could kill that phone would have exploded by now.
Even though he put on a strong front I could see he was falling apart. His façade was breaking. Whatever was written in that message hurt him. Bad.

"What happened?" I asked, concern lacing my voice. He narrowed his tear-filled eyes at me before letting out a frustrated sigh. God, what did I do to you?

"What's up with all the questions?" he snapped, causing me to flinch at the sudden outburst. He noticed my little action and I could see that he tried to calm down but it wasn't working. "Just please, I need to leave," his voice wavered.

"What am I supposed to do?" I asked, incredulously, a scowl covering my face. What was up with this kid? One second he's happy the next he wants to kill someone; That someone being me. The next he wants to fucking leave?

"I-I don't a have a driving license at the moment," he mumbled, looking down his face lightly flushing in embarrassment.
Wait, how did he drive me home that night without a license? I mean it would have caused more damage if I drove myself so I guess I can let that slide. For now. Considering if I brought that up now, he would most probably murder me.

"What do you mean by "at the moment"?" I asked, raising a questioning eyebrow.

"Anger issues, murder, do I need to continue?" he said through gritted teeth. Damn, he was pissed. I raised my arms up in mock surrender.

"Um, I could drive you, but the only problem is that I don't have a car," I said, rubbing the back of my neck. His gaze narrowed at me once more as he scoffed in disbelief.

"Doesn't your asshole of a friend have a car?" he asked as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. "What's his name...Tyler? Whatever, he was apparently "too cool" to take the bus and brought his car,"

"Right, him," I said, nodding in realization. Tyler really was an asshole. But he was also someone who thought was my friend. This was gonna be easy.
I have no clue why I'm helping him but it looks like he could use someone right now.

***

"Um, you still haven't told me where we're supposed to go..." I told, him turning on the ignition. The car was so smooth it was NOTHING like the one we had. Well, they had.

"Right, um, New Jersey State Hospital," he muttered, quickly putting on his seat belt. His hands were trembling causing him to shakily stab the areas around the buckle before finally clicking it in place.