• Chapter 5 •

Theo

I woke up to the sound of the alarm blaring in my ear causing me to groan and smack the alarm of my table; efficiently shutting it up. I reluctantly pulled myself up into sitting position but immediately regretted it when my head started to pound. I cursed under my breath and rubbed my eyes trying to stop the terrible pain. I swung my legs across my bed and gently placed them onto the floor hissing at the sudden decrease of temperature.

I hobbled my way to the washroom clutching my head. I quickly pulled open my medicine cabinet and my eyes scanned the area for an Advil. As soon as I found the bottle of pills I grabbed it and urgently shook out one tablet. I immediately swallowed the pill and I slid down the bathroom wall. If you were wondering why I don't take my pills with water like a normal person the only reason I can give you is that I just got used to swallowing painkillers without going outside my room to get a glass of water, scared to face what was waiting for me outside.

My eyes strained to look at the time. But when I finally managed to read it I realised I was extremely late and would be extremely screwed if I don't get ready in the next 10 minutes. So I did what I do best; pull on a bunch of clothes which probably look awful together. After that shoddy job of trying to get dressed I ran down the stairs, one hand pulling up my shoe and the other hair fixing my hair. I stumbled all the way to the kitchen to see my mother sitting and eating some cereal on the table.

"Good morning, sweetie!" She sang, even though her voice was soft it still made my current state want to break my head in half. But I managed a smile since today was clearly one of her good days. "How was the party?"

"Oh, right," I groaned, rubbing my eyes. Images from last night flashed in my head. I didn't remember much due to the excessive consumption of alcohol I had after Paige stranded me at the party. And I remembered helping that guy out because Paige forced me to when I had first got there. I knew I had taken a cab back to the party. But that was it. I don't even remember how I got home. But instead of saying all that and making my mom worried... "It was alright,"

"Good," She said, smiling warmly. She then pushed a bowl filled with cereal in my direction gesturing for me to eat. "Eat fast or you're gonna be late,"

I nodded and stuffed my face with cereal causing milk to drip down the sides of my mouth. After I was done I quickly wiped my mouth off with the sleeve of my hoodie and rushed outside. Due to the fact that I had stuffed my face, I started hiccuping. Just great. Let's just say hiccups and a severe headache do not go together. I grabbed my cycle from the side of the house and quickly pedalled to school.

By the time I reached I was a panting mess. I don't think I've ever cycled as fast in my life. I reached the school in under 5 minutes which was great because I was right on time for the warning bell. I rushed inside and like yesterday the hallways changed into an eerie silence. I mentally rolled my eyes as I walked to my first class.

***

The bell signalling lunch blared through the classroom allowing me to let out a sigh of relief. Finally, Math was over. I grabbed my bag and rushed outside. I quickly dumped my books in my locker then started walking towards Paige's. Soon after I was greeted by a smiling Paige who was neatly placing her books inside her locker.

"Hey, Theo!" She chirped, smiling at me. Her red hair was pushed back using a white bandana and her freckled cheeks were dusted with a hint of red.