• Chapter 22 •

Theo

"Ma?" I breathed, feeling myself trembling on the spot. Ma turned around with a warm smile on her face.

"What is it, honey?" She asked, brushing some hair off my face.

"I need to tell you something." I choked, gulping nervously. She seemed to notice my weakened composure because her face twisted with worry. "Will you promise you won't hate me?"

"Theo, how could I ever hate you?" She said, caressing my face with her hand. I placed my hand on hers smiling lopsidedly at her. My heart strummed loudly in my chest.

"Ma, I'm-I'm gay," I said, my heart pounding in my chest as my stomach gave a terrible lurch. "I have a boyfriend." My stomach fluttered at the word. That day after ice-cream, we did it. We finally made it official. It was the best feeling to say it out loud. But now I felt like I was going to puke.

A look of shock covered her face before it settled into a sad smile. "Theo, I don't care who you date. As long you're my baby, I'll love you forever and always." She said, pinching my cheek softly.

"Forever and always?" I asked, remembering when I was a little kid. Ma would always say it. 'Forever and always'.

"Forever and always." She breathed, running her fingers through my hair.

"I love you, Ma," I said, my voice shaky as I pulled her into a hug. Silent tears slipped down my face and fell onto her shoulder.

She pulled away from me wiping my tears away with her thumb. "Don't cry, precious. I hate seeing you cry."

"I'm sorry, Ma," I whispered, biting my lip stopping myself from smiling.

"Don't hide that beautiful smile of yours." She said, placing a gentle kiss on my forehead. I had to bend down for her to reach and I could help the huge smile that forced its way onto my face.

"His name is Grey," I mumbled, a blush creeping its way into my face. "My boyfriend,"

"Is it now?" She said, letting out a small chuckle. I loved seeing mom healthy again. Her old light was there again. "Why don't you invite him over, today?"

"R-really." I stuttered out, my face heating up even more.

"Yeah, call him for dinner." She said, turning around and getting back to what she was doing.

"O-okay," I mumbled, making my way up the stairs feeling slightly in awe. That went a lot better than expected. Though I didn't really know what Tito expect

I grabbed my phone from my desk and clicked on Grey's contact before placing my phone Faust my ear. After two rings he picked up.

"Hi," He breathed, and I could tell he was smiling.

"Hey," I mumbled, finding myself smiling as well. "I told her. I told Ma,"

"What happened?" He asked, sounding eager but also slightly worried.

"She asked me to invite you to dinner," I said, excitedly as I flopped down on my bed.

"Seriously?" He asked, incredulously in the other line.

"Yeah," I said, running a hand through my hair, sheepishly. "Today."

"I'll be there at seven." He said, sounding slightly nervous but shoots t the same time.

"Perfect."

***

The time was nearing seven o'clock and I was starting to panic. I really wanted Ma to like Grey because I really like him. But I can't go against Ma. She's my life, no matter what. I love her and respect her more than anyone on the planet. I just wish they get along. I don't want Grey to say anything that might trigger her or something. I'm just scared.