• Chapter 7 •

Theo

Grey. I could see the way he pretends that nothing is wrong. The way he pretends that bruise covering his face is a result of a little trip. His situation felt eerily similar to mine, and it was getting to my head.

The sound of footsteps echoing through the empty hallways reeled me back to reality. My head snapped to the direction of the footsteps. If you were wondering why I was sitting in the middle of the hallway against the lockers. That's because Paige got the flu and I had to eat my food alone in the hallway like a freaking loser. Not saying that I wasn't one before.

My eyes scanned the familiar face walking up to me with a tray in his hands; Grey. His brown hair was messy as small strands fell on his face covering his chestnut brown eyes that contrasted with his pale skin. He also had an extremely chiselled face and was pretty tall. Not as tall as me though. People think that being tall is a cool perk but it just makes fading into the shadows a lot more difficult. Especially after the incident when I really needed to not be noticed.

"Do you mind if I sit here?" he asked, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck. He looked distressed, annoyed. But I could see he was trying really hard to look casual. But the question he was asking wasn't casual. Especially when you were asking someone which everyone believes is a murderer if they could sit next to them.

"I can't stop you," I said, taking another bite of my now cold sandwich. He nervously cleared his throat as he slid down the wall next to me. "Why are you here?"
He looked genuinely shocked by the question. The expression on his face made me nearly choke on my sandwich. "Aren't you supposed to be with the rest of your dumbass friends?"

"That's the exact reason I came here," he muttered, playing with the transparent wrapping that covered his sandwich. "They kept on bugging me about how I should try to convince the coach to let you not try out because apparently, you're 'dangerous'. I really don't get it. Like let it go,"

"They're right you know?" I said, monotonously. "I am dangerous," I mocked, with a slight smile on my lips.

He let out a light chuckle but quickly coughed trying to cover it up. But I heard it. "Should I be scared, co-captain?"

"Maybe," I joked, gently nudging him. He nudged me back with a small smile on his lips. This time he didn't try to hide. He smiled as stared at the wall ahead of us. I smiled too. A genuine smile. Not the fake ones I put on for Ma. A smile. A normal smile. After 2 years. I did it. I don't know why. But it happened. This was a mistake. I shouldn't be smiling after what I did. But they deserved it. It didn't matter though. Nobody cared if they deserved it or not. It only mattered that I did it. I killed him.

"Hey, is anything wrong?" he asked, a look of worry crossing his face.

"No," I stated simply as I got up. My mask was back on. I shouldn't have let it drop in the first place. "I have to go,"

I walked. I jogged. I ran. I tried to stop all the terrible thoughts that filled my mind. But I couldn't. Because I was guilty. I shouldn't have done it. But I had to. Damn it. I ran into the washroom and locked myself in one of the stalls. I didn't cry. I didn't sob. I couldn't let my emotions control me again. I can't ruin everything again.

***

"Alright, I have made my decision," coach stated as she looked at her clipboard one last time before meeting all of our gazes. "The team members have already been posted as you have seen. But the captain for this year is going to be two people actually. Yes, I decided that this year we will have two captains. Our co-captains will be Grey-" immediately the team started cheering but there was still nervous chatter among them on who the second captain will be. "-and Theodore,"

The gym turned terribly quite silent. Not the good type of silence. It was the type of silence which sent shivers down your spine. "You are letting the criminal be our captain?" One boy growled. "There is no chance I'm listening to a murderer," another said, between gritted teeth. Each word they said felt like someone was stabbing me and the more they spoke the more the knife painfully twisted in my gut. No emotions, no pain. I tried.

"If any of you think that my decision is incorrect you can walk out that door-" she pointed towards the gym door. "-and by doing so you will also be kicking yourself off the team," coach said, monotonously. Nobody said a word. I liked her. "Good, now, if you guys don't know about our start off competition we have at the start of every season it's coming up in a month so we need to get prepared. This competition will be held out of town so we'll need a sign from your parents allowing you to travel without them. I have no clue why a bunch of 17-year-olds need to ask permission to go without their mummy's and daddy's. But whatever. Just get it done,"

Everyone nodded intently. I didn't know if I could go. It's not because my mom wouldn't allow it, it's just the fact that I don't know what she might do if I leave her alone in the house.

"Alright kids, we are done for today. You all can go clean up now," she stated, uninterestedly.

Everyone except Grey walked towards the locker rooms to get changed. Why wasn't he going with them? I hesitantly walked over to him and gently tapped him on the back causing him to let out a startled yelp as he turned to face me. I noticed a small sigh of relief pass his lips once he realized it was me. "Aren't you gonna get changed?" I asked in a rather small voice. I had no idea why I was suddenly so nervous maybe it was because of the little slip earlier.

"I-um, I don't uh-" he fumbled, his gaze falling to his feet.

"I'm sorry I asked," I interjected quickly. I could tell he was uncomfortable and I didn't want to burden him after he helped with the other guys yesterday. Even though he was probably just watching out for his friends. "You don't need to explain anything to me,"

"No it's just- nothing leave it," he muttered, burying his fingers in his pockets as he swayed back and forth on his feet.

I gave him a quick nod before walking away. "See ya," I said, softly but loud enough for him to hear.

***

My hands tightened on the brakes of my cycle when I reached my house. The small blue house stood out in the grey sky. The dark clouds indicated a chance of rain and the sudden winds also added to the chances of rain. I slowly got off my cycle then I wheeled it towards the porch.

I took out my keys and fit it into the keyhole but the sound of something crashing inside made me wince in understanding. She was having one of her episodes. I quickly pushed the door open and I was greeted by a plate hurdling towards me. I ducked causing it to miss me by a few centimetres. My mom let out a slight gasp before falling onto her knees.

"I'm sorry," she sobbed, smacking her hand onto her head. I rushed towards her and pried her hands away.

"It's okay," I whispered, pulling her into a hug. I ran my hand slowly through her hair as I hushed her muffled sobs. "It's all going to be okay,"

"I-I didn't know," she croaked peeling away from me. Her eyes were red as tears slowly fell down her pale cheeks.

"Ma it's fine. I didn't get hurt," I reassured, gesturing towards myself.

"But- but you could have," she mumbled, tears still freely falling down her face.

"But I didn't," I said again offering her a slight smile. This wasn't like the one I had given to Grey, this was my usual fake one. This was how it's supposed to be.

Hey, mystics!
Picture of Theo in the beginning!
Yes, I know this is a little draggy but we got a little bit of Theo and Grey. The cute bits are coming. Don't you worry.

Question: What do you think of Coach Landon?

Thanks a lot for reading!

-Anya