CHAPTER 2

"So, one thousand years of being single, and you suddenly decide to take in a concubine. If I didn't know any better, I'd say you've gone mad," Yamanuki Hachijin, the crow demon sovereign, looked up from the sake he was savoring. 

Seated across him, his long-time friend/enemy, Ayakashi ninetails gave him his trademark smirk. 

Yamanuki sighed as he put down his sake cup. "Tell me Ayakashi, have you gone mad?" He asked curiously. 

Ayakashi smiled lightly. "I've taken an interest in her," he said. "In any case, you didn't come here to ask why I've suddenly decided to settle down now, did you?"

Yamanuki's lips curled slightly. "Is that your way of saying 'mind your own business'?"

Ayakashi only answered him with a smile. 

"Heh," Yamanuki scoffed. "I got it," He said taking a small sip from his cup. 

"So, why did you come here, Yamanuki?" Ayakashi asked, his red eyes narrowed. 

Yamanuki didn't hurry to reply. He savored the sake he was drinking, then slowly put down his empty cup. Ayakashi didn't wait for him to ask as he picked up the sake bottle and filled his cup. 

For a moment, only sound of liquid filling the cup could be heard in the silent room. Yamanuki watched as his cup was filled, but didn't hurry to pick it up. Ayakashi waited. 

"I heard the clan was giving you trouble," 

Ayakashi scoffed. "Heh! Those old geezers.  One thousand years ago I could make them dance to my tune, one thousand years later, I could still do it," he said. 

Yamanuki pursed his lips. "Things will be pretty dicey for you from now on, I imagine,"

"Why is that?" Ayakashi asked, curiously. 

Yamanuki didn't reply as he let his gaze wander outside.

 It was a peaceful night. A slight breeze danced through the air, bringing with it the subtle fragrance of plum blossoms in bloom. It was no surprise either since the courtyard where they were sitting has a big plum tree standing in the middle. With moonlight filtering in through the thick, sturdy branches, the sight could be said to be breathtaking. 

He once again let his gaze rest on his  friend. He could be considered old given his long thousands of years of existence, but Ayakashi ninetails, with his long spiky white hair, red eyes, and white skin smooth enough to make any girl go mad, looked anything but old.

 It had been one thousand years since he had lost his divinity and became a mortal, but he didn't look a day older than twenty. 

Yamanuki smiled. "Mah~ If it's you, I don't think the situation will deteriorate any more than it already has," he said nonchalantly as he brought his cup to his lips. "But, I advice caution," he said, seriously. 

Ayakashi closed one eye and crossed his arms across his chest, pondering over what his friend said. "Is someone ascending?" he asked after a while. 

"It looks like these thousand years in the mortal realm didn't rust your brain," Yamanuki said indirectly confirming Ayakashi's suspicions. 

"Ascending, eh? Certainly, if someone was ascending, I can understand why the clan would be excited," he said. He picked up his sake cup, slowly.

"Will you be alright?" Yamanuki asked, concerned. 

Ayakashi smirked as he gazed into his cup. "I will be fine. Why wouldn't I be? Haven't you heard? It's best not to provoke a sleeping lion," he said lightly as he watched the sake in his cup rippling softly as the cool wind blowing in from the outside blew over its surface. He smiled when a small, pink plum-blossom petal fell into his cup. 

He took a sip, then looked at his friend, "I may have lost my divinity, but it doesn't mean I have grown weak. I am just resting," He said. 

Yamanuki looked at him, bewildered. "There's no way to recover from losing one's divinity," he said, frowning. "Unless-" his blue eyes widened as he thought of a terrifying possibility. "Don't tell me...?!" 

Ayakashi only gave a smile in answer. 

"I knew it!" Yamanuki's shoulders slumped in relief, then his eyes brightened. This time there was more than relief there. His eyes were glowing with something else. Excitement. Yes, excitement. 

It's been a thousand years since they last crossed blades, but soon- Yamanuki felt his blood stirring at the thought of challenging his rival once again. 

Thousands years ago, he caused chaos across the nine realms with his divinity. If he's doing what I think he's doing... then - He thought, and he couldn't stop himself from grinning, excited at the thought of a challenging Ayakashi soon. 

Ayakashi, as if reading his mind, winked. "I'll give it ten years minimum. Hundred years, maximum. I'm looking forward to fighting you again, Yamanuki of the Devilcrow!"

Yamanuki's lips pulled into a vicious grin, revealing his canines. His blue eyes glowing. "Ou! You wait, Ayakashi ninetails. Our Thousand years' battle, this time, I'll be the one claiming victory! Make sure you have a good sake gourd waiting!"

Ayakashi smiled wryly. "Yare~yare~ You're always thinking of raiding my wine cellar. You never change, do you?" 

"Of course. If there's one good thing about you, it's that you have impeccable taste when it comes to fine wine. Drinking with you is an experience in itself!" Yamanuki said, while holding out his empty cup. 

"Good grief, you're really..." Ayakashi was speechless at his friend's shamelessness, but he filled his cup nonetheless. 

In any case, all is good in life. Good sake, and a trustworthy friend to share it with, what more can a man ask for? Ayakashi thought, with a smile