CHAPTER 15

"You're getting bolder by the day, love," Ayakashi said, Hanamari nestled in his embrace, her back to his chest. 

He was sitting on a futon, with Hanamari sitting on his lap, the cool breeze from the open screen door cooling their skin through the loose inner-robes. 

"Only because you keep teasing me," she tilted her head back and smiled up at him.

"Ha~h. You're right. I'm sorry if it bothers you," 

"Mm~nm. I don't mind."

After a moment of silence, "It's going to be a bloodbath, soon,"  Ayakashi slowly lowered his head and bit her exposed shoulder

"Talk to me," Hanamari said, ignoring the faint sting of pain that ran down her spine, leaning more into her husband's embrace.

"Heh! No need to worry your pretty little head. Let your husband wor-"

"Please!" Ayakashi froze at the sudden rise in her voice. He was more surprised than anything because Hanamari never raised her voice, which goes to show how much she cared about this.  

"You keep everything from me. I get worried when I see you trying to handle everything alone," Hanamari continued turning in his arms until she looked directly into his eyes.

"You're not alone. Not anymore. You have me by your side. So let me share your burdens, even if it's just a little," she said cupping his cheek in her small palm. 

"Are you sure you can handle it?" Ayakashi asked, his hand coming up to cover her hand. "I won't allow you to run afterwards," he said. 

"I'm stronger than I look," she said, her eyes glwoing with confidence. Ayakashi felt himself soften as he gazed down at her gently.

"That you are. I'm lucky to have you aren't I?"

"Mn! You're very lucky! So you need to count your blessings and treasure every minute!"

I do. Not just every minute. But every second. Ayakashi thought. Then he pulled her into his arms, and told her everything without holding anything back. 

He had noticed it first a few weeks before Hanamari came into his courtyard...

_

The Amanojaku Shrine was one of the most renowned shrines in the Underworld. Few humans traveled here, but those who did were almost all rich personages from rich households. They almost always had their small entourages following them. 

Not for any security purposes but as sacrifices... 

Underworld is unlike any other realm.

 Divided into four prefectures that were governed by the four great yokai clans, the Underworld boasted the most prosperous lands in all of the Ninerelams. They were also the most populated. 

It's easy for one to turn into an evil being more than a celestial, after all because cultivating good karma is that much more harder than making a simple bad decision. Humans were weak-willed creatures. When driven to desperation they'd almost always choose the easiest path for survival and the easiest path almost always happen to be the path that led to an endless abyss of despair. 

It's easy to discard your humanity than to regain it. Most yokai happen to be former humans that had chosen to become yokai, so their yokai forms would never resemble that of a human and would take on a form that would reflect their last desire as a human. These are known as minor yokai. 

In great yokai clans they serve as foot-soldiers and cannon-fodder in an army. But even mosquito meat is a kind of meat so no matter whether they are weak or not these great clans  would accept them regardless.