CHAPTER 5

It was the sudden silence in the surrounding that woke up Ayakashi. Rolling over, he was about to get out of bed when a tug on his sleeve pulled him back.

Ayakashi turned to see Hanamari, who was still deep in her slumber hugging his arm tightly in her sleep. The blanket had been pulled down to her waist revealing her bare torso. Ayakashi smiled.

It had been a passionate night for both them, and the strenuous activity had worn her out much faster than he had anticipated. He only had time to get her into a thin inner robe before she fell into a slumber.

Slowly extricating his arm out of her embrace, he watched as she rolled onto the spot he had vacated and settling down with a small sigh of satisfaction.

He chuckled as he pulled up the blanket up to her chin.

Exiting the bedroom, he went to the front hall and slid open the paper door that led to his courtyard. The morning breeze rushed in as if to greet him, and he held onto his hair to avoid it from getting into his eyes. The Sakura tree was in full bloom, and the morning light was filtering in through the cracks of the branches, even though it was still night out.

He blinked, then frowned. His hand unconsciously clenched on his katana, which he had taken with him when he exited the bedroom.

"So the rumor is true," Ayakashi whipped his head around to see a shadow slowly stand up from where it was sitting on his rooftop.

Ayakashi became vigilant. "What rumor?" he asked, his red eyes glowing.

The shadow jumped down and landed in front him. Ayakashi could finally make out its features. 

Long red hair that fell down to his ankles and looked as if the man was wearing a flame, a lean build covered up by an equally red yukata, and a black Haori coat thrown carelessly over his shoulders, and a rare red weasel through around his neck in an elaborate scarf. His face could be called handsome, if it wasn't for the pair of fangs that had elongated from his upper jaw, giving it an air of evil. And the pair of horns, as black as coal, jutting out from either side of his head gave him a fearsome look.

Ayakashi relaxed his shoulders, when he identified the intruder. "What? If it isn't the Black Onyx King?" he grinned. "Been well, I assume,"

Black Onyx King- or better known as the Bull demon Sovereign, scoffed at Ayakashi's tone. He pushed past him and unceremoniously entered his front hall and sat down on an empty cushion.

Ayakashi smiled wryly. "You do know that this is my home, right?" he asked, helplessly, as he took a seat near him.

"Your home, my home, what's the difference?" Black Onyx King said dully, with his eyes closed. Then he cracked open an eye, "Oh,"

"Hmm?" Ayakashi watched as the Black Onyx King rummage around in his robe and pull out a long pipe with a golden handle.

Ayakashi grinned, "Still smoking?"

"Shut up," Black Onyx King mumbled around the pipe as he lit it. Taking a long drag, he exhaled. The purple smoke that arose from it nearly made Ayakashi choke to death. He coughed then waved his hand to disperse the smoke that had come his way, grimacing. "Now I know why your wife doesn't let that pipe within half a foot in her house,"

"Tch! She can forbid me all she likes, but she can't forbid me from smoking in your house," Black Onyx King said annoyed.

Ayakashi smiled. "Mah~"

The two fell into a companionable silence. From the corner of his eyes, Black Onyx King looked at his brother.

Like the Crow Demon Sovereign, Yamanuki Hachijin, The Black Onyx King was also sworn brothers with Ayakashi. Of the four noble clans of Yokai, his Bull clan was ranked the highest, while the Ninetails clan was ranked the lowest, even though in actual strength, Ayakashi could beat the living daylights out of him.