CHAPTER 10

"From what I understand, Mizukashi has given you a sweet deal. Sweet enough to consider joining him in his bid for conquest," Ayakashi said, lazily sipping sake. 

Shirotori's hands shook, but then he clenched them into fists. He glared at the young man sitting on his seat. "Hmph! So what if we did?! We're just looking out for our survival! It's not like you have any influence whatsoever anyway," he sneered. 

"Survival, eh?" Ayakashi studiously ignored the last sentence. "Mah~ It's not like I don't understand where you're coming from. Indeed, compared to my previous self, I have indeed become weak," he said. 

Shirotori was stunned. He did not expect Ayakashi to say it out loud. Seeing hope, he started, "Then..."

"But don't misunderstand," he interrupted, his eyes arctic cold. "Me being weak has nothing to with your loyalty to the clan. Ergo, me. Weak or not, I am still the Second heir to Shirakashi's legacy. Don't forget it,"

"You?!" Shirotori scoffed. "What can a weakling like you do? Ever since you returned, you've done nothing but watch the clan fall into shambles. It was not just then. Even before that! You only claim the title of the 'second heir' when you feel like it! How can you expect us to follow you, when you don't even show an interest in taking up Shirakashi-dono's mantle?!" 

Ayakashi's smile vanished slowly. He regarded Shirotori with a new found respect. "It has been ages since someone dared to talked to me that way," he murmured. 

At his words, Shirotori stiffened, but forced himself to look unconcerned. His eyes burned with anger. 

"You're not wrong," Ayakashi continued. "I do, indeed, dislike my clan. Ninetails clan is nothing but a pile of shambles that's holding onto its former glory. There's not a single thing to be proud of in the current clan," he said. 

The gathered people gritted their teeth in anger. One of them wanted to refute him, but his companion quickly pulled him back. 

Listening to Ayakashi, Enrenra's grip on his sake cup, tightened. The hall was plunged into a gloomy silence. 

It's not like he hadn't noticed it. The clan was divided in more ways than one. Brothers had turned against brothers, and sons had turned against their fathers. The once loyal vassals had started to think about their own self-interests rather than that of the clan. 

There was not a single shred of the previous glory that the Ninetails clan had had. It was just like a sinking ships. The rats had already decided to abandon it, and those few who were willing to stay until the end only held it up by sheer will-power rather than any real power.

The Ninetails clan was heading straight for its doom, from Ayakashi's perspective. 

As they listened to him, the crowd started to contemplate. Shirotori listened, his hands clenched. He had already noticed it. When Ayakashi managed to ascend it was like someone had held out a olive branch when they were at the end of their rope. 

But it was a brief respite because they couldn't fight against the current. With Ayakashi's divinity being destroyed, it was like the clan had lost its last shred of hope. 

When Mizukashi had come up with a solution, it felt like being given a favor from the Creator. Even though many branch clans felt resentment towards the main house's way of handling things, their loyalty towards the Ninetails was unquestionable. 

They had all sensed the Ninetails clan's impending disaster and they all wanted to resolve it. They wanted to bring the clan back to its former glory. So when Mizukashi offered a solution, most of them had agreed without a second thought.