chapter 5: the crystal cave

"merlin, merlin, MERLIN ! wake up !" an annoying old voice yelled in Merlins ear. Merlin wanted nothing more but to just sleep for the rest of his life. The royal prat can clean his own armor and go get breakfast on his own. The annoying voice now started to shake him and merlin had enough , he turned around " WHAT IS IT GAIUS?" merlin shouted frustrated. Gaius was a bit taken back but quickly recovered. Merlin felt a little ashamed that he lashed out on Gaius like that because of the lack of sleep." Gaius I am sorry, I shouldn't have, I just..." merlin let a tired sigh and looked down." It's just that I had a long night and Arthur well, he can take care of his breakfast and such on his own once in a while. In fact he really needs the work out you know. He doesn't even fit properly in his armor lately. I have to squeeze him in you know" merlin rambled on." Is that so?" someone behind Gaius remarked. Merlin hoped to all the goodness in the world that it wouldn't be Arthur standing there just someone with a similar voice. He dared a glance and like always the world had something against him. There he was standing on his doorway with a snickering Gwaine and a chuckling Gwen on both of his sides. " that's what I've been trying to tell you" Gaius declared sternly at merlin. "merlin have you forgotten what day it is?" Gaius now asked with a serious tone. Merlin made a thinking and was about to answer when Arthur spoke up." You think I am fat?" Arthur exclaimed. Merlin could only blink at his king." Well I think you could let off the sausages" Merlin answered honestly." I am not fat! Those are just heavy muscles" Arthur reasoned. " yeah muscles consistent of fat" merlin replied instantly under his breath but still loud for everyone to hear. Arthur eye twitched and looked to his left for some support. Gwaine was a lost cause as he was laughing his off; 'bad idea' Arthurs brain thought so he looked over to his wife who was just giggling nonstop. Merlin only just in the laughter and for a minute everybody forget why they are gathered there in the first place. Gaius cleared his throat and spoke up " ehm sire, why did you come here". They all turned serious and Arthur stepped forward " morgana" he said monotonous. Then it all came back to him, morgana evil. Mordred evil. Destiny had taken its course and it's the day of the war. Merlin swallowed ,nodded and stood up from his position. He walked over to Arthur "well okay I see that now, but why did all of you come together?" merlin asked confused. They all shared a look as Gwen was the first to answer "Arthur and I wanted to have a talk with you and Gwaine well you know him" she said smiling. Gwaine just shrugged with a smirk on his face. "I had nothing better to do so I just tagged along "Merlin had to shake his head at his friends antics." Gaius can you take Gwaine and check his mental state" Arthur ordered Gaius jokingly but still with a serious undertone. Gaius just nodded "of course sire, let's go Gwaine" Gaius said as he made his way over to Gwaine pulling his arm to the front of the physicians room " well guys don't have too much fun in merlin's room" Gwaine shouted mimicking Arthurs voice. Arthur just rolled his eyes and crossed his arms. Gwen looks at merlin with a smile playing on her lips and notices his slight nervous stature. " I will get to the point" Arthur declared " will you go to the battlefield or not?" he further asked. Merlin was about to instantly reply with a yes but he remembered his previous night meeting and encounter." We both know how close you were with her and how much you had to go through because of her. We will understand if you want to stay behind and you haven't been the same lately. Don't deny it merlin we can see it that there is something troubling you and it seems to be something that you suffer through alone. "He hesitated for a moment, he needed to know get a glimpse of the upcoming battle. He knew where he needed to go 'the crystal cave'. He has promised himself to never use that cave for his own personal gain but this was a matter of all of Albion so he needed to put all that behind him for the future. Merlin looked ahead of him at his two best friend and in that instant made his decision. " I will not stay behind but I will go visit Ealdor to meet my mother one last time before meeting you on the battlefield. I will be by your side Arthur no matter what" merlin said firmly with a fire raging in his eyes. Arhur could feel a huge rock fall of his chest, he knew he could always count on merlin but he just needed to hear it from him. He also understood why merlin needed to visit his mother. Arthur looked at merlin conveying a thank you with a no words spoken. Gwen could only smile to whole time, they share such a strong bond and it never fails to amaze her. They stood like that for a few seconds " you know Gwen is going to feel threatened by merlin if you keep on gazing at him like that, she may think that she has a rival" Gwaine said popping out behind Arthur. Arthur was so startled by the sudden voice that he jumped a little forward and screamed in a high pitched voice. Arthur was holding his chest. He tried to calm down his heart as he looked around him, he realized with he just did and shot up in standing position as he cleared his throat " one word about this and you two will be cleaning the stables for the next century" Arthur threatened pointing his index finger at both of the snickering men. He took Gwen's hand and walked out the physicians room with his last remaining dignity intact. " well you sure did a number on Arthur" merlin joked. He was then suddenly pulled in a hug by none other than Gwaine. Merlin was shocked as he awkwardly hugged him back " I heard everything and I know you too well that you have something in mind like sacrificing yourself for the greater good" Gwaine elaborated. Merlin could only pat Gwaine on the back, he was lucky to have a friend like him. they moved away from each other, Gwaine held out his hand " promise me you will take care of yourself and be safely back" Gwaine said not used to be emotional but this was his best friend. Merlin grabbed Gwaines wrist and nodded with a determined look in his eyes "don't worry, I am not planning on dying." Gwaine nodded for a last time as he bid his farewell and went after the king to prepare for battle. He went over to his night table and took his satchel, he packed up and left immediately through his doorway. Gaius was not present as he was surely tending to his daily rounds. He was considering telling Gaius but it will only make it harder and Gaius would surely advise him not to go. Merlin with one last look at his current self, closed the door behind him and went over to the stables, he took the fastest horse selena, he got mounted her and started riding outside the city towards the crystal cave. Arthur looked at merlin from the side of the courtyard as Gwaine came up behind him "gather all the men and prepare to depart toward Camlann" Arthur ordered.

Present time...

Arthur looked up a on ahead where the battlefield will take place in a camping far away but still close enough to have a good view of it. "sire the scouts are back and have seen no sights of the enemy" Leon delivered bowing his head. " okay thanks Leon, keep everyone on high alert and sent another troop to scout in half an hour." Arthur answered frowning. This is weird, where is morgana? Where is the army? This doesn't make sense, why declare a war when you won't show up. This doesn't sound like morgana at all even though she completely changed into a vicious monster, she still held her word. This could be a trap but still this doesn't make sense at all. Arthur sighed and looked up at the sky, he hoped merlin was doing better than him.

merlin is standing in front of the crystal cave and felt the magic radiating from it, it's truly the birthplace of magic. He enters the cave and takes a torch with him. His eyes shines goldegolden the torch lights up. He goes in deeper where the crystals lay, he takes fast steps on the wet cave floor. He arrives at his destination. He steps into the middle of the big opening and is now standing between all the shining blue crystals." Now show me---" he suddenly hears a splatting noise behind him and turnes around sharply. His eyes widens " you" is the only word that escapes his lips.