Chapter 4: Into The Past

—•— Asra —•—

I laid on my back, staring up into the night sky, the calm flickers from the fire crackled and snapped, mingling in with the sounds of the woodlands.
My hand was draped on my chest, my fingers fiddling with the green pendant that belonged to Evangeline. I could feel the low hum of magic that swirled inside, the echo of a long lost bloodline.
I remember when she wore this all those years ago, she claimed it belonged to her lost father and his father, and his father before that.
So on and so forth.
One of the things Evangeline and I had in common was the absence of our parents. We had no clue as to what happened to them or their whereabouts.
But now, Eva has no memory of them, never speaks of her mother or father. She no longer wears the emerald pendant. But here I am now, holding onto it like it's a lifeline to her.

I exhaled deeply, putting the necklace around my neck, holding the pendant to my heart as I closed my eyes slowly, feeling my heart beat at a steady pace.
I opened my eyes again, looking towards the fire. I rolled onto my side, propping my arm underneath my head as I stared at the flames.
"I'll be home soon...."
I whispered softly and with a wave of my hand, the fire blew out.

—•—

"Asra...."
I slowly sat up, rubbing my eyes before recognizing where I sat. Wide eyed, I pulled myself up to my feet, looking around at the clouds beneath me.
Standing in front of me was a tall beast of a woman with green emerald skin, her hair was royal blue and her eyes glowed like the moon.
"You called..." I looked at her confused, shaking my head, denying her claim.
"I didn't..." The woman deeply chuckled, shaking her head as she sighed softly, her dress moving like rippling water. She was as scary as she was beautiful.
Already I instantly knew who I was speaking to.

One of the major Arcana....
The World. She resembled Mother Earth.

"You didn't call me directly Asra. Your soul sings to me young wizard. Your soul aches for her...."
I looked down at the pendant around my neck.
"You have her back, do you not? Why the sorrow?"
She asked, her skin beginning to sparkle like the stars in the universe, her presence was calming.
"Because....because....."
She deeply sighed, staring up into the heavens.
"She needs to know the truth soon, to learn. There is a storm coming wizard. You can feel it. Otherwise you will have done all this for nothing...."

"I don't want to hurt her...I just got her back—"
She shook her head, shushing me as she knelt down to my level and our surroundings began to shift through the seasons.
The air around us turned bitter and cold, snow flurries flying in every direction.
"Learning is a painful experience Asra. Like when you're little and your bones are growing and you ache all over. That's what makes us...us...it's primitive. They are all obstacles."

"And that Asra is the beauty of life

"And that Asra is the beauty of life. We all must endure debilitating torture before we can finally see...to live. Pain is only temporary. It is apart of life. You humans are so fragile with your short frail years, I wouldn't waste anymore time Asra."
She sent me a reassuring smile and I looked down.
"You will find each other as you once have before. But in order for that to happen. You must first endure."
She rested a hand on my cheek as a mother would to her own son, she smiled softly, her white eyes glittering like diamonds.
"She needs to wake on her own. You can only be there for her, lead the way. Be her guide."