Chapter 7: Old Faces

— ATLAS —

"Heave! Ho!"
The villagers pounded on the doors to the house of Minerva and Jupiter.
The doors were not budging, the magic was too strong for them, deep in the wood and earth.

I became impatient.
I moved past the villagers, ordering them to back away, flashing my eyes at them before turning to face the door.
I closed my eyes and concentrated deeply.

Jupiter was gone, so was his daughter and their familiars. I knew they were trying to escape.
And Minerva was all alone.

I may not be able to take on two grand sorcerers but I can at least take down her. She's vulnerable.

When I opened my eyes, the energy I had built up expelled and smacked against the door, blowing it in.

Waiting for the dust to clear, I slowly stepped over the threshold, my hands powered at my sides.
I stopped moving when I saw a stone bowl begin to float, red energy surrounding it when all of a sudden it was hurled towards me. I held my hand up, blocking the blow when Minerva came out from hiding, running towards me.
I created an energy blade, spinning around to strike her when she appeared, blocking it with an orb of crimson light.

I pushed against her and she gritted her teeth, screaming as she forced the energy to explode, blowing me back into rickety furniture

"Don't make me do this Atlas!"
She raised her hands and flames engulfed her palms.

"You don't have the balls..." I taunted her and she growled, swiping her hands and fire rushed towards me and I rolled away from the blast.
"Stay away from my family!" She screamed.

"Thrae emoc ot ym dia." Standing to my feet, I balled my fists as thick thorny vines erupted from the floorboards and stood like daggers.
Suddenly, I felt the sharp tip of a blade touch my back. I froze and immediately recognized the presence behind me.
Slowly I turned around and before me was Lucio's little sister. Her lip quivered, her hand shaking as she held a blade that was thin and small.

"Leave her alone!"
I erupted in laughter.
"You're far away from home child. Leave, this doesn't concern you."
I turned to face Minerva again and suddenly I felt a swipe across my arm.
"No!"

"Ataris...."
I looked down at my forearm and blood trickled down, seeping through my sleeve.
Villagers began to swarm the house and surrounded the witch, boasting their victory.
"No! Leave her alone!" I held the child back as Minerva lowered her hands, her vows unbreakable in the presences of mortals.
"Tie her up! Burn the witch!"

"Lucio! Come get your sister!"
The count stormed in ready to give me a lecture but when he saw his little sister, his attitude changed.
"What are you doing here! Go! Mother will have my head!" Lucio proceeded to drag his sister back out of the witch's home.
"No! Don't hurt her! No! You're monsters! Monty! No! Don't hurt them!"
The seven year old screamed, smacking and hitting her brother as he removed her from the scene.
I returned my attention back to Minerva and the villagers already had her shackled.
I walked towards her and she glared at me.