2~ Lock and Run

The rest of the day was long and hard. Adrien never left my side, and comforted me. I tried to focus on the lesson, ignoring the glares from Alya and Lila, the sorry looks from Nino, and the cold and questioning stare of the entire class.

Well, sort of.

I caught Chloe glaring at Lila a lot, and she even caught a piece of paper that Lila had aimed at me, probably a mean note.

Is Chloe protecting me?

No.

Pretty soon lunch came, and everyone happily made their way to the cafeteria. I didn't feel like heading home today, so instead I sat with Adrien.

He cheered me up, cracking jokes and makng sure i was smiling.

It's great that he's looking out for me. It means I truely am his friend, that he cares for me.

I haven't stuttered once since this morning, and I'm feeling better knowing Adrien trusts me.

It was still awkward, but we quickly warmed up to each other.

I wanted to talk to Tikki, so I lied and said I was going to the bathroom.

"Be careful," Adrien had said.

As I walked to the bathroom, I didn't notice Alya and Lila get up to follow me. But Rose and Juleka did, as well as Adrien.

I went into the stall, openig my bag. Tikki instantly gave me a hug.

"Oh, Marinette, I'm so sorry!"

I smiled sadly. "It's okay, Tikki, at least I still have you and Adrien."

Suddenlly, I heard laughter, Tikki flying into my bag, something slamming against the door to my stall.

I rushed towards the door, shaking the knob, but it wouldn't open.

"Take that, Mari-trash! " Lila yelled, Alya snickering behind her.

"No! NO! Help! Somebody! P-Please..." I fell to my knees. "...help..."

I cried, being locked in the bathroom not my idea. Tikki flew out, offering to help, but I shook my head.

"It's no u-use. This is my n-new life now, Tikki. I m-might as w-well get u-used to it."

I cried and cried, tears pouring down my cheeks. I didn't hear the bathroom door open, or the sound of someone's feet comig towards me. It wasn't until the door opened that I looked up.

"A-Adrien?" I sobbed, not expecting to see Rose and Juleka.

"Hey, are you okay?" Juleka asked, offering her hand.

"Come to make fun of me, too?"

"Why would we do that? We're your friends, Marinette."

I smiled sadly. "Thanks, girls."

Rose smiled. "No problem. We saw Alya and Lila follow you in here and when you didn't come out, we worried."

"T-Thanks." I gave them a hug, walking out of the bathroom.

Adrien ran to my aid. "Marinette! Are you okay?"

I nodded, looking away sadly. "I-I'm okay. Just..."

I didn't finish my sentence, Adrien shaking his head.

"How about we get you home? That sounds like the best thing to do."

All I can do is nod, and Adrien leads me out of the cafeteria, ignoring the strange looks from people.

I was still shaking when we entered the classroom.

"Ms. Bustier?" Adrien asked, and she looked up from her papers.

"Adrien! Marinette!" She noticed my tear-streaked cheeks. "Is everything alright?"

Adrien looked at me, as if to ask if it was okay to tell her, and I nodded.

"Lila and Alya locked her in the bathroom."

Ms. Bustier gasped. "Are you sure?"

Adrien nodded. "I saw them go in there after her. Rose and Juleka helped Marinette out."

Ms. Bustier nodded. "I'll have to talk with them, then. Thank you, Adrien. Marinette, are you alright?"

I leaned into Adrien, surprising him, but I didn't care. I was afraid. "C-Can I go h-home, please?"

"Of course, Marinette. I'll call your parents to let them know you'll be home early. Adrien, you can escort her home if you'd like."

Adrien nodded. "Thank you, ma'am."

We walked, and Adrien encouraged me that it would all be okay.

Our hands were intwined, but we didn't notice.

We walked out of school, ignoring the stares and whipsers of students as we fled, me trying to keep my emotions deep down, Adrien just wanting me to be happy.

In one day, my whole world had changed.

In one day, I lost my best friend.

In one day, I made an enemy.

In one day, the guy I liked became the only person I could look to for support.

In one day...

My head hurt, my heart ached, and everything was spinning.

In one day...

I felt myself falling, Adrien looking shocked.

In one day...

"MARINETTE!"

...I saw a new light.