III

Midoriya jolts awake, lost and still half asleep. He turns his head, seeing his friends' frenzied faces as a siren rings from the hallways. The entire dorm is bathed in varying swathes of red, flashing and flashing until his head hurts. He feels a familiar stab of fear hit his heart, then sink down to his stomach.

"W-what's happening?" He managed to choke out through his panic. Looking around, he sees that his friends are gathering their things.

"Midoriya! Get up!" Iida scrambles over to him, shaking terribly and helping him up. "We need to leave!"

"Why! What are we running from?!" Despite his words, he stands, his knees trembling. He hears a scream, then Ochako yelling... something. The sirens are getting louder and louder, and there's a thick cloud of smoke above their doors. He looks over to see that his bookshelf has fallen over, knocking Todoroki over and leaving him unconscious on the floor. With Iida and Midoriya in a state of shock, Uraraka runs over and hoists him over her shoulder.

Taking a step, she lets out a brief cry of pain, followed by a swear or two. Touching Todoroki every so lightly, she makes him float a bit, before coughing and making him sink to the floor. She grunts in frustration and tries again, grabbing him by the wrist this time, and yanks the bookshelf out of their way.

"Ochako we need to find out what's going o-" Iida starts, brushing debris out of their way.

"Let's just get out of here!" She coughs harshly and limps over to the door, a trail of blood making its way down her leg and soaking her pajama pants. Iida runs over and lifts Todoroki over his shoulder, shoving the other two out the door and down the hallway. Ochako lets out a shaky sigh, and starts hurriedly limping after him. Sprinting alongside her, Deku runs face first into someone, knocking the stranger back and himself to the floor.

"Go to the buses! NOW!" The strange teacher yells, and they scramble down the stairs, tripping and getting lost amongst the increasing crowd of students. Everyone is pushing, yelling as a crash is heard on the other side of the wall. Herds of people push past him, separating him from Iida and Todoroki, and him from Ochako. The smoke dissipates slightly the lower in the building that they go. Tripping and stumbling, he slams his shoulder into a wall, feeling a stab of pain shoot down his arm and side. He lets out a grunt and stumbles, nearly falling to the ground.

Another crash, this one in the common room, brings him back to his senses. The television they were watching the movie on just hours ago is on the floor, broken and crushed by people's feet as they rush by.

Having lost his friends, Deku looks around fearfully, still dazed.

"Iida?!" He cries out, stumbling around. "Ochako?!" He coughs, the smoke stinging his emerald eyes and making his normally perfect vision blurred. He feels a tear pass from his eye and he squints, turning the people around him into messes of color. He begins to run with the crowd, trying to either find his friends or another way out. A red blur passes through, and Midoriya attempts to call out to his spiky haired classmate, but loses his voice. The call ends up as a small whimper and hurts his throat more than anything. He tries again, the call getting slightly louder.

"K-Kirishima!" Midoriya croaks out, coughing. He reaches for his arm, grabbing it tightly. "Wheres everyone else?"

"Midoriya!" Kirishima places his arm under his shoulder and lift him, releasing the weight. "Almost everyone's on the bus! Sero went off somewhere to find help once the first pillar collapsed, and we- we haven't seen him since." Midoriya's legs ache and his lungs burn, but he keeps up with Kirishimas quickening pace. They push their way through the door, and they take in large gasps of fresh, midnight air.

"Shit- shit shit!!" Kirishima sputters, looking around frenzied. "Where is he?!" Looking around, Midoriya can't seem to spot his classmate either. Crowds and crowds of scared students rush by them, pushing them both around. Finally, a figure runs out from the debris, holding a wounded first-year girl with four horns sprouting from her forehead over his shoulder, her eyes occasionally blinking and sparking.