VI

The blonde boy shivers, muttering swears under his breath. His mentor, donned in his usual jean bodysuit, strides ahead of him. Bakugo, being shorter than the man, has no choice but to lightly jog behind the hero. 

"I swear, he's doing this shit on purpose...Oi Jeanist! What the hell are we out here so early for?" He growls, stopping himself from rubbing his hands up and down his arms. This morning, he was brutally yanked out of bed and forced into his hero costume, basically just swallowing an apple for breakfast. The taller man turns around and glares at him from above his belt buckle (his hero costume was still unsettling to the student in training- though he'd never admit it.)

"Heroes are always on patrol. Villains actually find the early morning a prime time to commit serious felonies." He whips around, seemingly walking a little faster. A harsh morning breeze blows past the teen's face, making his scowl even deeper. He pulls his phone out of his back pocket and checks the time.

"At four in the fucking morning?!" He yells, his previously combed down hair popping back to it's usual spiky manner. The pro hero remains silent, walking at his usual pace. A boy with shaggy black hair and a torn shirt rips past Bakugo, bumping into him on the way. The student turns and glares at the boy, his deep red eyes meeting with a pair of sky blue ones. He inhales sharply to make a comment, but his mentor grabs his arm and pulls him away.

"Let go of me! I'm not a fucking toddler!" He yells, yanking his arm away.

"Language. And heroes do NOT go around yelling at people who bump into them." His mentor retorts. The boy growls and turns his head away, looking up at the lightening sky. The deep blues of the night faded into light yellows and pinks, casting deep and cold shadows of the buildings that towered over them. Bakugo huffs, looking ahead of him and mentally prepping for the rest of this "shitty week".

-----------

As expected, the first few days were nothing but training and ruthless workout routines created by the two heroes. Deku and Lycub were put through trial after trial, and their reward was finally upon them. Waking up early, four in the morning to be exact, they quickly changed into their hero costumes, making their way to the kitchen to grab a large breakfast.

"I can't believe this is the first time we get to go patrolling!" Lycub exclaims, scarfing down his huge plate of eggs.

"Yeah." Deku says, looking down at his plate of toast. He feels his head start to spin and he closes his eyes, taking deep breaths. 

"You okay?" His friend asks, swallowing a mouthful of food and looking at him curiously. The smaller boy nods, his green curls bouncing against his forehead. He rubs at his eyes with his palms.

"Yeah. I just... didn't get much sleep last night." He lies. Since the heroes announced their first patrol, Deku has felt a sense of foreboding. Of course he has. The last time he went on a patrol he had encountered the hero killer, Stain.

He had also almost witnessed the death of his two close friends. 

A shiver makes it's way down his spine as he swallows the bile that had risen in his mouth and inhales his toast, not even bothering to taste it. He glugs a bottle of water and wipes his mouth, making his way to the sink and doing what little dishes were in there to clear his mind. 

"No need to do that, Rookie." He hears a creaky voice say. He turns to see Gran Torino hobbling towards him, a grin on his face. "The maid'll do it."

"Y-you have a maid?!" The boy asks, shocked. For being an old man, Gran Torino had the fire of a hero inside of him. And with that fire came the unyielding sense of independence that nearly all heroes seem to have. It was hard to imagine him hiring anyone to do anything for him.