VIII

The bright white of the hospital hurts his eyes. It hurts them a lot more than he'd like to admit. He squints, pinching the bridge of his nose and squeezing his eyes shut. He hadn't been sleeping well since the incident- or at all, for that matter. It was starting to take a toll on his body. He pulls out his phone, ready to text one of his classmates or scroll through Instagram to get his mind off things. 

Seeing his reflection in the phone screen, he shocks himself. His eyes are bloodshot, the bright blue pupil looking dull, and the gray one looking shockingly white compared to the redness of his sclera. His eyes were dark underneath, and his skin turned pale and rough. He sighs, putting his phone away and leaning back in the uncomfortable hospital chair. He numbly rubs his thumb along the bandages on his thigh where Bakugo burnt him. 

Taking a shaky breath, he looks around the room, desperate for his mind to go elsewhere. One TV was blaring the news and on the other, a really, really bad clay-mation for kids. He stands and makes his way over to the food court, ordering another cup of coffee. Checking the TV behind the counter, he sees journalists and celebrities bashing U.A.. Todoroki clenches his fist  and looks back at the barista, who seems to be waiting for something. 

"I-I'm sorry. What did you ask?" He says, snapping himself out of his daze. 

"Your payment, sir."

"Right." 

----------- 

"Because of the attacks being targeted at U.A. students, many have told Tokyo Media that they're pulling their children out of the prestigious Hero Academy..." The news anchor drones on. He remembers the sadness of his classmates and peers just a few days ago.

-----------

Everyone was sitting in the common room, not exactly joking like they used to, but talking quietly, with a few forced laughs in between. Todoroki had been sitting behind Uraraka and Iida, none of them having anything to say, nor wanting to speak. 

"Uhm... hey, guys?" The voice of their cheerful classmate speaks up through the silence, her jeans and fluffy pink sweater floating in front of the TV. Although they could keep watching through where her head should be, they understood what she meant and turned it off. "I-I don't know how to say this... but.. but I-I..." She begins to sob lightly, and certain spots on her sweater turn a darker pink as they get drenched in tears. The other girls go up to comfort her. 

"Hagakure... I know things have been rough..." Momo begins, her voice dying out as she begins to cry as well. 

"It's not that!" She yells, more tears staining her shirt. She stands a little taller, wiping at her eyes with her sweater. "My family is moving away and I-I'm switching schools!" She finishes, crying again. The room is silent as she continues, yelling louder and louder. "It's all because of the stupid reporters! They say it's all U.A.'s fault... and they started comparing it to other schools. My parents enrolled me into another Academy without telling me, and I ended up getting accepted." She sniffles, the other girls starting to cry as she tells the story. 

"Kure... we can still hang out okay? This doesn't change anything-" Mina starts. 

"It changes everything! My family's moving! To Korea!" She finishes, leaving the others in shock. 

"Why... but you chose this school! This was everyone here's dream school! They can't just do that to you!" Jirou says indignantly, her fists raised in front of her. 

"...Some of us had to fight our parents to try to become heroes." A voice says from the back. Everyone turns in shock, to see Sato, standing above the couch and clenching the cushions with his fists. He grits his teeth, swallowing.