Chapter 7. Tell Me You're Kidding

"How could she possibly not remember me? I'm her fiancé," I scoffed. "Tell me you're kidding, Tina."

"I'm sorry, honey. I wish I had better news," Tina said and sighed.

We stood in the hallway a few feet from Aria's room. Doctors and nurses rushed past us into a different patient's room.

Tina shook her head. "I tried to jog her memory. I told her how old she was and mentioned a few friends. Ace, she doesn't even remember Bailey. Aria believes that she just got here. She remembers you, but not well."

"Well, what does she remember about me? Surely, remembering me a little is better than not at all," I insisted. A lump rose up my throat.

Tina bit her lip and grimaced. "Aria remembers the first time she met you."

"And?" I pressed.

"That's it," Tina murmured. Tears welled up in Tina's blue eyes.

"You're kidding." I wasn't sure why I kept saying that, but it felt like a joke. Surely, Tina would start laughing at any moment. "Tell me. . ." I trailed off. "Damn it, Tina. Please, tell me you're joking."

"Ace. . ." Tina trailed off and shook her head. Tina's forehead creased. "You know that I wouldn't joke about this."

"It seems unreal. I've lived without her for months, and now you are trying to tell me that she doesn't know who the hell I am!" I threw my hands over my face and rubbed my face fiercely. I drew in a deep breath and dropped my hands. "Can I still see her?"

"Of course. Keep in mind that the doctor said it might be temporary." Tina pursed her lips.

"Right. You said it might be. That doesn't give me much hope."

Tina patted my shoulder and walked around me.

How am I going to do this? I want to kiss her and tell her I love her, but I can't. I followed Tina into the room. Tina informed me that Aria doesn't know what happened. The doctor told Tina it was better to let things come back to Aria instead of telling her what happened, and I didn't agree entirely with the fact.

Aria sat up in the bed, and she stared down at the tattoos on her arm. Aria had no recollection of them being there, and she knitted her eyebrows in confusion. Aria's eyes locked with mine, and she gasped.

"Hi," I said and smiled at her.

"W-what are you doing here?" Aria stammered. Aria's blue eyes flickered to Tina.

"Aria, I'm going to leave you to talk to Ace. Ace can fill you in on some of the things that are going on. The doctors don't want Ace to tell you everything, but under the circumstances, you need to know some things. Just know that whatever Ace decides to tell you is completely true. Do you remember what the date is? I told you earlier," Tina explained.

Aria sighed and nodded. "You said that I have been here for two years," Aria muttered.

"That's true," Tina said.

"Okay," Aria said. Aria didn't look as if she believed what Tina told her.

Tina gave Aria a hug and kiss goodbye.

A chair sat on the side of Aria's bed.

Aria grimaced when I got closer.

The chair scraped across the floor as I pulled it a couple of feet away from the bed. The last thing I wanted to do was make her uneasy. I sat down in the chair and leaned back. It was impossible not to stare at her — I hadn't seen or spoken to her in what felt like forever.