Chapter 15. A Ghost

Kalia and Austin walked into the study together, hand in hand. Whatever problems they had, they patched up.

"Hey, where is Aria?" Kalia asked.

"She is still asleep. I wouldn't bother her, Kalia. Aria has been really exhausted lately. Pregnancy kind of does that to her. Not only that, but she gets moody, and guess who has to deal with the repercussions of that. . ." I trailed off.

Kalia smiled and raised her eyebrows.

I mashed my lips in a straight line and pointed a thumb at my chest. "That's right. This guy. It's safer to let her sleep, trust me."

Kalia threw her hand over her mouth and let out a giggle. "Okay, I won't poke the sleeping bear, I promise."

"I'm forever grateful," I said and chuckled.

Austin laughed.

"So, what are you two doing here?" I asked. I dropped the pen on the desk and waited for them to speak.

Austin grimaced. "Hiding from Mom and Sierra," Austin said.

"Really? They're not that bad," I scoffed.

Kalia bit her lip, and her gaze dropped to the floor. From her expression, I knew that they said something to her that they probably shouldn't have.

"What happened?" I arched a brow.

Austin sucked in a deep breath and let it go. Austin rolled his eyes and shook his head. "Talking shit like always," Austin muttered. His voice came out so low that I wasn't sure that he meant for me to hear him.

"Sierra said that I trapped Austin on purpose, but that's not true," Kalia said. Kalia looked at me, and I saw the truth of it in her eyes.

"I believe you," I told her. "Don't listen to her, Kalia. Sierra likes to make assumptions, and she is very blunt. Don't let it intimidate you. So far, I have managed to stop Sierra from saying things like that to Aria. Sierra isn't quite as bad with Aria because Aria lost her memory. Sierra says things like that to everyone. She is too opinionated."

"Which is why I can't fucking stand her," Austin added. "Anyway, Mom called early this morning and left me a voicemail saying that she and Sierra were coming over, so I dodged them."

"That's kind of rude," I pointed out.

"No, Ace. That is me being subtle," Austin snickered. "Mom is okay, but when she is with Sierra, she tends to agree to everything Sierra says."

I shrugged. "I get it, but you shouldn't have come here. This is the first place they will look."

Rosa came into the study with Angel. Rosa sat Angel on his feet and looked at me. "Ace, I fed Angel breakfast. He wanted you. I hope that is okay?"

"Of course. Thanks, Rosa. Is Aria awake yet?" I asked. Aria had been asleep for about thirteen hours, and it was starting to make me anxious.

"I don't think so. Would you like me to check on her?" Rosa asked.

I sighed. I hated waking Aria up, but she had been asleep for a long time. "Yes, please."

Rosa left the study without another word and closed the door behind her. Angel wandered over to me and smiled at me. I picked him up and placed him in my lap.

My phone rang on the desk.

Angel reached for it, but I grabbed it first. Angel looked up at me and pouted. I chuckled at his expression.