Five+

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song--------------}

"Eyes On Fire" By Blue Foundation 

Five+

The gears in my head of screeched to a haul, the record has scratched and the fat lady has stopped singing. I honestly don’t know what to say in the face of cold hard evidence of my growing obsession. Do I deny it? Well that’ll be hard knowing he has the freaking notebook in his hand. Do I play it off? I’m so dumbstruck right now I think it’ll take a miracle for me to pull that off.

What do I do?

“Um….”

Yeah, that’ll work.

Gideon narrows his eyes before tossing the notebook on the bed behind him. He walks towards me and though my brain is screaming for me to run, I can’t. I am completely frozen in my stop in front of my walk in closet looking at him wide eyed. When he’s about five inches away from me he lifts his large pale hand towards my forehead I finally react. I flinch back from his touch but he only purses his lips before laying two fingers on my forehead.

The invasion into my mind is immediately apparent to me. It’s like dark tendrils carrying Gideon’s personal psychic signature slither into my brain and latch onto it digging for information I don’t want to give. Everything in the real world becomes blurry and gray, well everything but his lilac shaded eyes that are locked onto mine. I watch his expressions trying to figure what it is exactly he’s looking for because I have no doubt it is him rifling though my thoughts right now.

He suddenly blinks rapidly and removes his fingers making the color drain back into the room around us as the dark tendrils of his touch recede. I take in a deep breath of oxygen as soon as they slide all the way out and stumble back a bit against the door of my closet. He brings pacing in front of me running his fingers through his short black hair while I try to shake the odd feeling his rummaging has left behind.

“You…I knew there was something odd about you.” He murmurs as he paces before stopping and peering at me. “How long?”

“W-What?” I croak out, I’m a little dizzy.

Gideon rolls his eyes and grips my arm before bringing me over to the bench at the end of my bed so I can sit down. I drop my head into my hands as I try to get the nauseous feeling building in my belly to stop. Oh god, the room just will not stop spinning.

“Close your eyes and take deep breaths.” He advises but he’s still pacing and I can tell he’s agitated. I do as he says and slowly start to feel the sick feeling fade, “Better?”

I nod but don’t speak.

I don’t think I have anything to contribute right now.

“How long have you been able to do divination?”

I lift my head and squint at him, “What the hell are you talking about?”

“You can see the future can’t you? That’s what that notebook is filled with? Your visions?”

I swallow thickly but nod.

“Well that’s called divination.” He says dismissively before suddenly kneeling before me and cupping my face in his hands so I have to look at him, “Now, how long have you been able to do it?”

“Since I was seven.” I whisper, tears building up in my eyes.

He closes his eyes looking pained, “And what else can you do?”