Seven+

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song--------------}

"Up Past The Nursery"-Suuns

Seven+

Gideon’s hand is still in mine as we exit my bedroom and enter the main expanse of the apartment I’ve called home since I was ten. It’s all pretty modern, gray and sterile looking, much like my parents. They don’t like anything that encourages people to make visitors feel at home.

“This place is more like an art museum than a house.” Gideon says quietly as we walk through the common area also known as a living room. Honestly if Mrs. Lang didn’t clean the place it would be ninety percent dust, it’s used so little.

I shrug, “It is. Mom and dad aren’t exactly the most welcoming of people. It makes sense their house wouldn’t be either.”

“Theresa!”

My father’s voice makes me tense as he yells for Mrs. Lang making it echo through the house. The sound of his designer dress shoes sounding on the marble floor hits my ears like the death rattle of a snake. We’re doomed, I’m doomed, and the feeling is deeply depressing.

“Theresa! Where—oh, Tallulah, what are you doing out of your room?” He hisses at me like I’ve just spat on the Queen of England.

I feel my throat dry at his tone, “I’m just going out with a friend.”

Gideon is like a statue behind me as his hand tightens on mine. I shift a little so I’m in front of him but I don’t think it’ll do much good hiding the taller and very eye catching addition. My father’s green eyes, too much like mine, are cold and assessing as they him in slowly.

Suddenly he presents a hand, “Benjamin Stewart.”

“Gideon Donavan.” Gideon says dully taking my father’s hand with the one not holding mine. As their skin connects I notice Gideon’s body tense to the point I think he’s like a coil ready to spring. His hand grips on to mine so tight I’m afraid I’ll lose feeling in them.

“Pleasure.” My father says with an acidy smile before addressing me with daring, “Will you be back in time for dinner, Tallulah?”

“Actually she won’t.” Gideon pipes up, “I’ll be taking her to dinner.”

Father quirks one dark blonde brow, “How charitable of you.”

“Charitable?”

It’s my turn to tense at the sound of Gideon’s growled word. I was I could say that I wasn’t used to this from my father. He likes to put me down as the crazy girl when anyone is interested in me. I haven’t gone on many dates but the ones I have gone on have usually ended with a pitiful glance and a wish for the best in the future. No one wants to go steady with the one more familiar with the inside of a psych ward than what’s going on in the society pages.

“Yes.” My father says simply with a small mockingly pitiful smile in my direction, “I’m afraid my daughter has a history of mental and physical problems. You seem like a very…kind man. I can’t I’m surprised you would take such a forgiving interest in my daughter.”

Yes, I’m used to this but the words don’t sting any less. My hand unravels from Gideon’s, well tries to but he’s not having it. His grip tightens on mine and he pulls me a bit tighter to his chest as his other arm wraps around my waist in a very comforting way.

I could close my eyes and melt into it.

I wonder why…

“I assure you, it’s Tully who is being the charitable one here.” Gideon says in a very controlled tone.