Nine+

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song------}

"Truth" By Seether

Nine+

Do you ever feel alone in a crowded room?

Like you’re at a party and everyone is celebrating and having fun while you’re sitting in the corner nursing a drink. I’m the loser in the corner at the moment. While Gideon, Orin and Lila celebrate the moment I feel separate, apart from them and their joy.

Part of me wants to blame my parents and the way they are. My parents never touched me since they didn’t want to sully their finely manicured hands on a snotty kid. Mrs. Lang didn’t come until I was twelve and so I was mostly left to nannies and they were just as distant as my parents. No one showed affection to me until I ironically went into the clinic. It was an orderly at a place called Custer Hill Mental Hospital named Darcy that gave me my first hug at ten.

So as the trio basked in the happiness of the moment I was removed from it all. Inching my way towards the bedroom door I keep my eye on Gideon knowing he’s the only one who would really stop me. When I’m positive he’s too into his sister I turn on a heel and quickly but quietly leave the apartment. I take the stairs pretty quickly and feel relief spreads through my veins when I don’t hear or see anyone following me.

As I leave the converted apartment building I inhale the fresh air. My stomach rumbles as and I realize it’s been seven hours since those pancakes this morning. Securing my beanie over my hair more firmly I begin walking down the sidewalk looking for a place to grab a bite before heading home. I figure the whole ‘date’ thing is moot since he is with his family and rightly so.

After grabbing a bite to eat at a bistro about a mile down the road from the Donovan’s place I hail a taxi and head on home. I don’t feel disappointed that Gideon didn’t chase after me, in fact I feel a bit relieved to have the breathing room. I don’t know him much so it’s a bit bizarre for me to feel this longing in my chest the father the cab takes me from him.

Shaking it off I turn to look out the window and close my eyes.

“Hey lady, this is your stop!”

I snap my eyes open and realize with muted horror that I just fell asleep in the cab. Running a hand down my face I rub the sleep from my eyes before sitting up and realizing that I am in fact outside my apartment complex. Tossing the driver a two crumbled twenty-dollar bills I scurry out of the cab. Wrapping my arms around myself I head for the door but I don’t make it far.

An arm wraps around my waist and I’m suddenly thrown over a shoulder. I’m about to scream ‘help’ at the top of my lungs when I feel the familiar sparks telling me that it was Gideon. The black leather jacket and fine ass covered in dark jeans also confirm this.

Son of a…

“Put me down!” I demand.

He slaps my ass hard enough to make me yelp, “Quiet down, wench.”

“Wench?” I hiss, “I’ll show you a wench.”

Pulling back a foot I kick Gideon in the gut making him stumble a bit before he corrects himself without a word. Growling in frustration I lean up and grab a hold of his midnight colored hair and yank as hard as I can. This time he hisses through his teeth but doesn’t respond in any other way. When I’m about to kick him again his hold on me tightens to the point I gasp for breath.